98 does not show up on network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaver Slayer

Resently my windows 98 stopped showing up on the network, it can't use the printer, can't accese files on other computers and other computers can't see it. But it can still get on the DSL. I have checked all the cords and everything is in tight, it didn't use to have this problem, so what changed?

Also, the my network window on my ME now locks up when I try to get on the network.

If IP addresses are being assigned antomatically , check the address on the 98 to make sure it is with the right range for your switch/router's lan

How exactly do I do that?

Wait, the 98 does show up on the XP, but it doesn't look like a file folder and clicking on it does nothing.

Go to Start>Command Prompt> in the Dos prompt type" ipconfig /all"
This will show you the current setting for you ethernet card it's address should be like "192.168.1.2-150" Some routers have a differeent range . Yours will be listed in the owner's Manual

That is fine and the way it should be. The problem must lie in a configuration glitch.
Since it was working before I will take for granted you know how to setup network .
If the XP machine is a Pro you will find less problems.
There is a network wizard on XP ,try to run the network repair software. Then You can make a network setup disk (floppy ) that you can run on the 98 machine.
Confirm you have not changed the Workgroup name on both machines .This will occur(by Default) every time you run the setup wizard or make configuration changes.
98 and XP home can only network under the' Everbody' User type or you must logon ,under a authenticated user common to both machines , to the XP Home machine from 98 , each session.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back