9800 non pro overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arris

Due to a friend of mine swapping his rig, he is offering me his 9800 non pro for my 9700 pro (both 128mb). Now I've read some decent things about this card overclocking and the possibility of flashing the bios to the pro version. Haven't found any solid figure though, just community babble. Just wondering if anyone has any good links about this?

Well you can download a Pro BIOS from here, but it's not guaranteed to work, especially if you don't flash with the right one.

I own a 9800SE that can be 'soft-modded' to 9800 non-pro, using drivers found here. They just don't have Linux drivers :(

Non-pro cards might (I think it's quite likely) have slower memory chips though, so things might not work if you just flash a BIOS to it that has 100 MHz faster memory timings or so.

It depends on the RAM on the non-pro. If you have Infineon, don't bother w/ the flash....Hynix has varied results, but Samsung, love the Samsung..

After the flash, many people are hitting higher than Pro speeds even w/ Samsung 3.3nsmany as high as 750 DDR.....Most feel this is because of relaxed memory timings, but no definitive evidence to support or shoot down that theory.....

Well the card I'm getting has the Samsung 2.8ns memory so wish me luck in the overclocking :D

Does anyone know if it is possible to recover from a bad video bios flash, or flashing an incorrect video bios?

Well if you have a PCI video card you should be able to use that to use the computer to reflash it to the previous correct bios.

I think I read that in the guide linked by Mict.

Originally posted by Arris
Well if you have a PCI video card you should be able to use that to use the computer to reflash it to the previous correct bios.

I think I read that in the guide linked by Mict.

Correct-a-mundo

Occasionally you will need to put the PCI card in alone, boot, power off, then put the dead AGP card in and reboot. Some boards if set to AGP first will enable only the first video card, even if it is not working properly (the second video card is typically only enabled once the OS is booted).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back