9800XXL -> Upgrade to 7900GS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTiN

Hey there!
The fan of my Radeon 9800XXL (128mb) is slowly dying away so I thought I might buy a new graphics card!

I've got a pretty old computer, P4 3.0ghz HT, 1.5gig RAM, some MSI-7048 board and well my 9800XXL (AGP)

now I found this 7900 GS with 512mb ram for about 120€
http://www.comtech.de/product_info.php?ref=2&pID=212302&seo=512MB-XFX-GeForce-7900-GS-450M,-AGP

do you think this would be a good decision? or is my CPU or the whole computer to slow for such a card? Or are there better AGP cards for less money?

any help would be appreciated!

well, a new computer would cost a whole lot more...;)

and I'm still more or less happy with my pc, I can do everything I want and even play almost all new games (well with low settings of course) - its just that the fan is making some REALLY loud noise every now and then - and this now and then is getting shorter, a few weeks ago it only happened when I turned on my pc, now it happens every 2-3 hours (I then just have to kick against the pc and its fine again ;) )

so, anyway, I wanna use this pc for another year or something like that and need a new card, so theres nothing with a better cost/performance ratio?

and what about the power, I think I've got a 350Watts available, would that be enough? (also got 2 optical drives and 2 harddrives built in)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back