98SE locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bipolar_Gargoyl

I reinstalled the OS and the Plus! when I try to open a window and the mouse stills shows the pc is busy or if I try to play a dvd it just locks up. I have to hit the reset button to start back up. there is everest log to show whats in the pc, hijackthis won't run says its missing a dll file :confused:

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks Bipolar :hotbounce

EDIT: Deleted the other thread for you, realblackstuff.

Attachments

• locking up pc.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 10
The Plus! package is a waste of space. Did you install all the latest video- and sound-drivers?
Did you install some DVD-playback program? DirectX? Necessary codecs?
Did you play it from the Toshiba DVD-ROM?
Is DMA enabled? You need to do those settings twice in W98 before it 'catches' and tells you to reboot.

I agree with RBS the Plus Pak on top of wasted space is also a Huge resource hog...
Burning requires as much resources it can have...

patio. :cool:

Ok i am on the pc in ?. my dad told me this is the 4th different HD he has tried, he has tried win98 and XP. it has a new power supply (was told that was the problem by a "friend") Randomly locks ups. Any idea what hardware could cause this? I am assuming its hardware with all the changes in software and it still does it. oH I re-installled OS and did every update i could find. Thanks Bipolar

p.s. thanks RBS, can you tell me how to delete my own ?

ok, IT rebooted once since my last post and locked up about a dozen times. i managed to get hijack this to work, but not in safemode... can't find a way to boot in safemode. My dad thinks it over heated. not sure what that would do? Sister had it in a 90degree house with side cover on. stock fans. they were clean though. i'm clueless? I posted hijackthis text just in case Thanks Bipolar

Go to www.memtest86.org and run their program memtest86 through 6-7 cycles.
Your PC could have bad memory.
You should also take all cards and memory out, and clean the contacts with an eraser. Blow all the eraser-remnants away before putting it back. Check that all fans are working.
Disconnect from the mains and ground yourself before you open that PC (static!).

To delete your OWN post, click on the Edit button of that post. There you can select Delete at the top of that message.

:D Thanks RBS it showed there were errors, so i am putting one chip in at a time and running the test again to see if all are bad or not.
:D Bipolar

Ok is there anyway to "fix" them or do i have to replace them? And if it shows errors right away, do i really need to let it run more than once?

Thanks Bipolar

ok, i've (fried) 2 good 128mb cards and tried several others. i figure it has to be the motherboard. If anyone has any other ideas let me know.

Thanks Bipolar :suspiciou

Bipolar_Gargoyl said:
Ok is there anyway to "fix" them or do i have to replace them? And if it shows errors right away, do i really need to let it run more than once?

Thanks Bipolar

Hiya mate.

Ram modules can`t be fixed once they`ve gone wrong. Also ram modules are very sensitive to static, so make sure you`re fully grounded when handling them.

The ram problem would make the system very unstable, hence the freezes etc.

Test each individual stick with Memtest for about 6 or 7 passes.

Once you`ve weeded out the faulty ram, put some new ram in there, and it should be good to go.

As for the mobo being bad, although it`s a possibility, I don`t think it is IMHO.

You can check the mobo for damaged capacitors. I.E swollen, or domed tops, or leaking usually shown by a dark brownish coloured deposit at the base.

Regards Howard :) :)

howard_hopkinso said:
Hiya Mate.

You can check the mobo for damaged capacitors. I.E swollen, or domed tops, or leaking usually shown by a dark brownish coloured deposit at the base.

Regards Howard :) :)

I unplugged everthing from the MB top get a better look at it. I found 2 spots that i think are bad. Both are silver squares that have a circle in the center. one has a definite "ooze" look . (about the size of a pencil eraser) The other has one, just big enough to be noticeable.
Thanks for the Help!

Bipolar

P.S. sorry RBS!

Every ram chip i've tried, it says is bad. including ones right from a functioning pc. It completely toasted 2 new ones, they were in different slots and at different power ups. As far as the picture, i have 2 spots circled, the one on the right has a bigger "brown" spot than the one on the left. So far that is the only thing i can find. But my dad told the reason he has a new power supply is because there was an "arc" and his pc went dead. nice of him to tell me after putting 2 weeks into trying to fix it and after someone else cobbbled it. :mad:
Thanks Matthew

Be careful with leaking capacitors. The fluid is corrosive and toxic, and you can also get a bad shock if there is a high enough charge.

Thanks, now all i have to do is find a matching mobo, so i can take everything off this one and switch it over, or find a new mobo and processor, and ? I have never build a pc, just replaced parts other than the mobo or pocessor. fun fun fun lol

Matthew :blackeye:

Keep in mind that memtest tests ALL memory present...that includes any onboard memory as well as level1 & 2 cache...so it's not always bad RAM.

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back