A+ 601 & 602

pedxing

Hi. Could somebody who has passed these exams tell me exactly how they are different? I'm studying with "The Ultimate CompTIA A+ 2006 Resource Kit" and it seems that both exams cover the exact same chapters (the 602 exam skips the first 2). So I was wondering how the exams differ and if 602 is much harder than 601.

Also can I confirm that the two Win9x/Me chapters are not on the exam?

There are a LOT of different exams... for the same number. One 601 or 602 is unlike another.

They are all pretty easy. If you know your stuff at all, it won't matter which one you take.

As I am just looking to increase my base knowledge of computers and eventually take the A+ exam, I would like some direction. I see several Comptia Exam Cram books out there, but which is the best way to go. I don't have time for some of the free online courses, so books would be a better format.

Well, I am now A+ certified and can answer my own question here. I did not find them all that challenging, but I definitely put in the hours(over 50) and effort in studying for these. I used the Thompson Ultimate A+ Resource Kit and it did the trick. :)

Anyways, I think buying one good A+ book will be adequate for passing both exams. The Mike Myers hardcover book would probably be an good choice as well. But definitely do as many practice exams as you can. Those are extremely helpful in getting a feel for exam, although the actual exam questions are, in general, much easier (at least on the 601).

Hope that helps anybody who plans to get this cert.

Thank you for the update.
The tests vary a great deal from test to test. One cannot expect to get the same test, nor a similar spattering of questions. But the exams I took in 1999, or that my wife took in 2002 were not difficult, if you knew your stuff enough to work in the field.
Your observations are generally the same as what we experienced back then, although the exams have changed dramatically.
What were the costs of the exams, and did you have to travel far to take them?

Back