A+ cert. test

sllewe

I have just completed my PC install and maintience class with a A. I am taking the sofware part of the A+ test this weekend. I was wondering if any here has taken the test recently and has any tips for me. I feel confident but i still am nervous. Thanks alot

Sean

I've got the A+. Its piss easy. I read the book the night before the exam and got it. Don't feel nervous. If you know what you're doing you'll pass.

Mine was a while back, so I dunno if they've removed the need to know about 286/386 era hardware yet though...

Thanks for replying MYOB. Yea we need to know as far back as the 8086 and 8088. I know my hardware but im not sure about the OS part.

Sean

I'm thinking about taking this exam because A+ sounds cool. It's fairly elementary ( i.e.for people with less than 6 weeks PC experience) As I understand it it is almost mandatory for Support work in the USA. Good Luck and let us know how you get on :)

you'll want to take the Comp Tia test, many places won't hire techs who passed other tests, it's the most respected test in the field. when i took it, i found it to be mild and passed with a 'mastery' score. just watch out for those windows 9x questions!

Hey all

I was supposed to take the test last saturday, but because of the snow I took it on tuesday. (well at least the OS part) I was very suprised on the number of 9x question on the exam. But i used mike myers book in my class and it prepared me foe it. Now all i have os the HardWare on Sat. which i know will be easy. Thanks for the support and responses!

Sean :D

Hey guys

i am planning on taking the A+ really soon

can anyone tell me how much it costs and where to get CompTIA certified tests?

Thanx

Kevin16 said:
Hey guys

can anyone tell me how much it costs and where to get CompTIA certified tests?

Thanx

The A+ cost me around 145 USD but im not sure on the exact amount. I would see if your area community college has it. If your in High school, it might also give the test, but i dont know how old you are so that may be out of the picture. Hope that helps

Sean

Hey

I am 14 and i dont think that my high school has the test

I think a community college near by has "a test" but not CompTIA certified

you're gonna want a comp tia test most places won't acknowledge any other test. here at a Techskills facility in chicago they wanted $150 (usd) for the test. the course was like around 1700 bucks, but i didn't need to take it. the thing practically pays for itself, a guy could start out making $25/hour easily.

25 bucks an hour?

what kind of store pays that much?

how much do u make?

Oh, and I'm from CA. Seems like no one on TechSpot is from CA, the GOLDEN STATE

well, this depends mostly on local employment, but here fry's and rent-a-tech are advertising said rate.

let me explain the current general situation here in chicago:

as far as employment goes, we're seeing an increase in private technicians and a decrease in company tech jobs here. companies would rather pay some individuals more money than to pay a contracted employee of thier company. so, as a private tech such as myself, we negotiate our own price and show up and get the job done. when the job is done, we take our tools and a check and leave. i like the lack of strict 9 to 5 work hours (sometimes the nights last forever though). how much i make depends on the price i negotiate for. like i said, this depends largely on local employment situations. either way, this job has a bright future that i can always look forward to.

hope this helps you understand.

Thanks for the info

Are you planning to go for any other certificates (i.e Network+)?

Do you know the benefits of any other certs?

B.T.W.- Do you have an employer? If not, how's your job without a boss?

Thank you,
Kevin

My Area

I live right outside of Baltimore, and unlike Zephead, the need for repair techs, private or working for a company is way down. There are just so many people that are getting cartifed that the compition is huge. My A+ certifaction deosnt get me a job, not even close. That means i gotta move if i want a job, but i hate it here so im fine with that! :D

Sean

yes, the sql and mcse, linux+, and others are on my to do list. the benifits are getting paid more and being able to do a wider variety of work.

working without a boss is great and allows me to choose who i want to work for and other freedoms. i am given a task/goal and i can choose to accomplish it any way i choose. the downside is no employee benefits or anything, such as medical things. mabye down the road i'll go 9-5 for a company, who knows what the future will bring.

just curious, what is your job status currently?

Do you think any major retails like Best Buy or Circuit City would take A+ certified people as repair/service techs?

I am 14 and are not eligible to work yet, if you were asking me

Im not sure if you are asking me or kevin. I am 16 and not currently working. I plan to however work with computers when i graduate, specficly PC repair. (im not that big into networking) and getting my A+ was only the start.

Sean

Oh...does anyone know the passing score to earn a certificate?

Is there a different between getting an A or a C?

Does your score appear on your certificate?

no score appears on your cert. it's more of a pass/fail type of test.

Do you think any major retails like Best Buy or Circuit City would take A+ certified people as repair/service techs?
you bet they would. usually it's a requirement just to apply for the job.

if you want to make money i suggest you get into networking, it's where the work is. a company can buy all the dell optiplex's in the world without you, but they need a network and techs who can work with networks are valued.

most people don't care what age you are, just as long as you do a good job. you'll probably get paid less but your parents aren't charging you rent, are they. you don't need a cert to work for money either.

and, don't forget the high potential earnings for doing home networking/pc repair for local residents in your area. just do a good job and people will trust you. do you live in a suburb, city or rural setting?

Back