A DVD that is also a CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

A consortium headed by EMI Music, Sony BMG Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group plan to introduce a new a new disc format later this year that is both a DVD and a CD. The DVD side of the disk will be used to store music videos, interviews, photo galleries, Web links, concert footage and lyrics, amongst other things. They will be compatible with virtually all devices currently in existance that read CDs or DVDs. Apparently, consumer testing has already produced favourable results.

So I guess the cd will be playable in any continent but the dvd side will still be region encoded? Region encoding is the stupidest thing. :-(

Indeed, it's like buying a book from another continent but not being able to read it back home.

This dual-format disc could be useful for promoting DVD-Audio - a normal music CD on one side and better quality DVD-A version on the other.

Not necessarily, I believe they have the OPTION of region encoding. I've seen some free-lance movies that were region free.

They'd have to do this region free or they would cause themselves a real headache, I don't know why they'd want to deal with that. Not to mention the riots that would break out when some 40-year old can't watch Britanny Spears dance videos...

Heh, no one said region encoding is mandatory - just the biggest studios are greedy. Yes, some small, independent studios release them as R0.

How is this news? These already exist. The Blair Witch Project 2 DVD is two sided. Side 1 is the DVD with the movie, Side 2 is the soundtrack.

Why is this now making the news?

jafo

Is side two a CDDA soundtrack? Dual sided DVD's with both sides as DVD data have been around for years. Not ones with CDDA one one side though.

I wonder will the CD side be session protected though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back