A few R350 tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
The Inquirer has a few details on ATI's upcoming R350 chip that will most likely become Radeon's 9700 successor; I wouldn't expect any changes on features supported or that sort of thing, but perhaps a smaller core size, better heat dissipation and pumped up clock frequencies…

ATI's magic goal is to achieve 400MHz/800 MHz for the card and memory while we know that it can easily clock it to 375 MHz, which can be considered as the lowest frequency of R350.

Performance of the chip still has to be seen but I suppose ATI's target is around 10-20% above that of GeForceFX's.
Now I can tell you, if they accomplish that and don't arrive too late to the market, they would be easily reassuring their current leader position at least for the next 8 months; NVIDIA, in the other hand expects ATI to have more than one problem moving to .13 process.

:eek: Man, ATi is coming back. nVidia pretty much had the market with their Geforce4 Ti's pre-9700, for the entire series outperformed the 8500. But now ATi seems to dominate!

What's the name gonna be for this card series? Surely ATi isn't going to go into the 5 digits?

Most likely the name of the card will be Radeon 9900 with maybe a "pro" added after the digit...

It will be produced on .15 (same as the 9700 pro)...

It is rumored to be 10% faster than the GF FX, which would put it around 30-40% faster than the 9700pro...

But those numbers are pure speculations I've picked up several places around the net...

The first card from ati produced at .13 will most likely be the Rv350... (which is most likely a mainstream card (i.e. 9500pro))

What I had deard was the RV350 would be a .15 micron chip but the R350 would be .13 microns.

That wouldn't make sense; ATI don't sell all that many of their most high-end product (same thing for Nvidia)

So to produce it on .13 micron to save money would be quite pointless (the R&D costs would probably far out weight the savings on the R350 from going to .15 to .13 micron...)

On the other hand producing their mainstream cards on .13 would make allot of sense since ATI sells allot of those and will surely be able to make some money there... (RV350)

I have of course not taken into consideration that by going to .13 micron you allow for higher clock-frequencies... That on the other hand is the reason to produce a top of the line card on a smaller process...

Just my 0,02$

In a customer's point of view, do they really care it is 0.13m or 0.15 m?

the answer is clearly no.

as long as your cards produces better those benchmark scores, that's it. you gonna win in the volume of sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back