A fresh OS rebuild question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman2005

Afternoon all. I just installed my new gfx card (8800 gts / 640) and am having some issues in various. I have decided instead of spending a lot of time troubleshooting - it's time for a spring cleaning. I am going to go for a fresh format and OS reinstall.

I tend to do this about once or twice a year but never really sure if I am going about the formating procedure correctly.

What is the best way to prepare your HDD for a new OS? I typically get everything off that I need to back up and then boot from orignally XP disc and go to the command prompt and run fDisk (i think).... now I can't remember.

Does the original XP disc have fDisk on it? Any rate, what procedures do you guys use when going for a fresh OS install? Formatting or otherwise?

ROFL!!!! Your so cute....FDISK ROFL. Just back up your stuff, restart the computer and make sure your CMOS has the cd drive as the 1st boot device. Then just pop the cd in and when it asks to boot to it, hit any key. Then just follow the instructions.

Im glad you AND my buddy got a laugh out of that one..

Harhar... I dunno, I had always done it that way and then the XP low level format during install.

Any way - I am all back up and running with a clean slate. Thanks

I didn't laugh, I just thought you needed updated instructions.

Glad you are up and running again, please ask any questions you like and don't be afraid to ask no matter how trivial you think it might be.

Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back