A ghost is playing with my volume, up and down, any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lost Chord

I have a Creative X-Fi sound card, 5.1 surround sound speakers. Everything was working fine and dandy for a long time. Now, the volume is in and out from low to high every minute or so. It is at normal volume and it just sounds like someone puts the volume up a bit, and then lowers it alot, and its all over the place.

This happens in everything from music to games, does anyone have any idea what this is?

All help is appreciated, thanks so much!

Thanks! I usually keep this PC extremely clwean, I have all of that spyware protection already...I am running some stuff now.

Have you heard of this happeneing before to anyone? Its good sometimes for a long while, even 30 minutes, and then BOOM! out of nowhere its extra loud...and then normal, and then too low, and then BOOM again...

When you have weird problems like this, 80% of the time it's spyware.

I used to work at a Dell call centre and 90% of our calls were spyware. Half the time it was obvious, other times we'd be working on some weird problem and be getting nowhere. Then we ran anti-spyware utils and up came all this garbage. We removed it an PRESTO!! The problem disappeared. I've seen spyware cause just about every kind of imaginable problem!

ah yes I do have the CD! If it persists I will try that option.

This should strictly be the sound card, though? It cant be plugs or anything right, I have everything plugged it fine and all, can wires get crappy after a while or is that unlikely?

Wow, yeah, spyware is a pain...I dont seem to have any though ;\

I will keep running things and let you guys know, thanks for the promt replies and help!

Also, you worked for Dell, maybe you can tell me why my Dell XPS runs so sluggish after I have cleaned it up so nicely...it has a Radeon X300 card, Soundblaster X-Fi, 2.8 GHz Pentium D CPU, 1.00 GB RAM......games run crappy on it, the audio card has so many issues with midi controllers and games, its a pain in the **** man!

The Lost Chord said:
Also, you worked for Dell, maybe you can tell me why my Dell XPS runs so sluggish after I have cleaned it up so nicely...it has a Radeon X300 card, Soundblaster X-Fi, 2.8 GHz Pentium D CPU, 1.00 GB RAM......games run crappy on it, the audio card has so many issues with midi controllers and games, its a pain in the **** man!

Well, Dell has a special call centre (in India!!) for XPS systems. I worked at the Dell Helpdesk call centre which is at Ottawa, Canada.

If you system is sluggish, first check for spyware in both Normal and Safe Modes. Failing that, go into MSCONFIG and disable any useless background programs. Failing that, try removing programs one by one. Failing that, re-install your device drivers.

Well, its not spyware...I am going to re-install the drivers, but Ill ask, any other suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Sorry, one more thing, in MSCONFIG I have at least 30 things under "Services" and they are all checked, but under "Startup" I have only selected about 5 things because I have been there before to help the PC run. Should I disable alot in Services also?

Don't disable anything in Services that you don't know what it's for! If yo do and don't need it, then you can disable it.

OK, Yeah i figured that after reading some of them.

Man, the most furstrating thing now is realising just how much junk is on this PC put there by Dell. I ran a spyware check and it had to check 18000 some odd things, while my cleaned PC downstairs runs about 14000 things.

I notice so many things on here I feel like are unnecessary, I will definitely need to ask about them in a new thread though...maybe you can help there too!

Sounds like you were runing Ad-Aware. They call them "objects" which can be files, processes (running programs), cookies, ... Don't get frightened but the large number. Most persons have at least 120,000 objects on their systems (some have double that!)

The thing that bothers me though is that my 3 year old Dimension Desktop runs games better, and music better, than this brand new XPS with, supposedly, a "great" sound card the Soundblaster Xfi, but I have had nothing but problems with sound, and games!

Did you call the Dell XPS call centre?

Also, how old is your new XPS system? There is a factory image you can restore to if you want.

Creative X-Fi Sound Card volume problem!

I made a thread about a week ago about my volume being up and down at times as if a ghost were fiddling with my volume knob. Well, I figured out it MUST be the sound card.

So, here is my problem. The volume goes up, really loud sometimes out of nowhere, and low, and back up, all over the place at times as if the song I am playing were a bad rip or something. My speakers are perfect, tested them on another PC. Tested other good speakers on THIS pc and it does the SAME THING!

Can anyone help me here? Is there any way of fixing this, is it possible my sound card is fried? I have had nothing but trouble with this Creative X-fi, which is supposedly a fantastic sound card!

I appreciate any help!

Threads merged.

I`m fairly certain it`s you sound card that`s at fault.

While not exactly pertaining to you problem, read this article HERE.

It seems that a bios update may fix your issue.

Regards Howard :)

hi all, umm i kinda have a similar problem. buh dun think mine is as bad... lol

basically... sometimes (and i mean rarely) my sound volume wud just drop, out of nowhere, so i can barely hear anythin. my sounds still there, just that volume is too low.
i check volume control ... sound driver software..... pretty much everything (i think) and it all seems to be normal.

to solve the problem i have to restart my pc and my audio will be workin at full volume, like it should be - but i dont want to restart my pc when im in the middle of doing somethin important. it'll have to be done afterwards.

is this happening to anybody else? its not much of a big deal - i just want to know why its happening, and if theres ANOTHER way to get the right volume up again instead of restarting.

also, ive scanned my system for spyware using Ad-Aware and ive deleted EVERYTHING its detected (even from the quarantine list) - buh it still happens.
like i said, it doesnt happen ALL the time... just happens like ONCE a week or something. gets annoying after a while...

all help appreciated - thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back