A good graphics card for Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mictlantecuhtli

So, I'm searching for a good graphics card to use in Linux.

I'm selling my ATi Radeon All-in-Wonder 9800SE because
1) Its extra features can't be used in Linux
2) ATi's Linux drivers suck, they don't care about customers.

Right now I'm using Matrox G450 dualhead, but it isn't really up to speed 3D-wise.

Parhelia would be a good choice, it has good image quality, fast enough for 3D, but I'm not sure if it supports dual monitors at 1600x1200. Triplehead is limited to 1280x1024 per display, that I know. Their Linux drivers seem to have problems too, not being updated etc.

3DLabs VP880 would be nice as well, but surprise surprise, they don't support Linux either, drivers are included in commercial Accelerated-X, which doesn't seem to support a self-made Linux.

So, unless someone has decent alternatives, looks like choices are pretty much in Nvidia area, GeForce or Quadro.

:blackeye:

I have never had any problems with ANY nvidia card in Linux. Installation of the drivers is easy and performance is always good.

Do they have accelerated display even when screen is rotated? I'm using a TFT display that has "Pivot" feature, ie. can rotate it 90 degrees, makes documents easier to read.

how can turing the screen improve the reading quality of a word document, or any thing for that matter??

Have you ever actually tried it? Do you always read A4 pages at whole page view off your monitor? Is this just a prelude to a "I've got a gazillionxbazillion resolution BigAss(TM) screen" brag?

The thing is if you rotate the screen then you will be able to use all the screen area and get a bigger = better image.

by the way what is the difference between a Quatro and a Geforce, are they desighned for different things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back