A Good Processor and MOBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick4357

I am new in this computer building process, and I have been looking around here(probably seen me lurking in here constantly) trying to learn as much as I can to prevent ignorant questions. I have been looking for a nice decent processor/CPU to buy for a nice gaming computer. I know I want to take advantage of hyper threading, 64-bit advantages, and also a 939 socket(heard it was very new, and upgradeable.). I have $200-$300 to spend on a processor alone. I want to be able to play this, and hopefully next generation of games. I also don't get the FSB, I know what it is, but on the mobo, it doesn't tell you how many multipliers you get. Very confusing on some parts of the computer. I also want to get a nice MOBO for around $200. I will probably spend around $1.5-$2000 in all for a computer(CRT screen, mouse keyboard, nice optional stuff, and the computer). I want a nice gaming machine, I don't play FPS games (Half-Life2, and so on) so really don't play graphics hungry games. I mostly play the RTS games (War Hammer, etc.) Thank you for the help.

You're not going to get hyperthreading on a amd64 cpu, although an amd x2 cpu(dual core), will be better than hyperthreading. You mainly need ht or dual core for serious multitasking.

You can build a very good pc with your budget. A basic gaming rig will cost about $800-1000(tower only).

I can't really give specific advice without specific details of what you want to do. I like my 3000+, vnf4ultra, 6600gt, and 1gb ram. It works well for games.

Well, with a dual core, you have to buy two processors. Don't think I have the cash for 300 a pop for 2 processors. I thought hyper-threading was ht, or is it hyper-transporting? Some are advising these San Diego(sp?) processors, and I found one for $800. Way to much for me.

dual-core is two CPUs on a single socket. You only buy one.

HyperTransport is a bus link, used mainly on AMD CPUs & various chipsets (nForce, etc.).

Didou said:
dual-core is two CPUs on a single socket. You only buy one.
(nForce, etc.).

Do you mean do I only buy one Processor? Why is it called a dual-core then? I won't be doing any multitasking at all really, don't like to do more than one thing at a time. I just thought HT would increase my FBS so my games run smoother and faster. Still learning here, try not to get to upset.

Ok, dual core is one physical chip that goes in one physical socket, but instead of the normal single core, it has two cores built in. It is 2 cpu's in one package. If you don't multitask, then there's no need for a dual core. Future apps may utilize multiple cores though to be more efficient. I don't think that hyperthreading really helps games, unless you're doing the game plus several other apps at once. Amd's hypertransport, is kind of like intel's front side bus, only better. If you want more info, google hypertransport.

Patrick4357 said:
Do you mean do I only buy one Processor? Why is it called a dual-core then? I won't be doing any multitasking at all really, don't like to do more than one thing at a time.
You can not avoid multi-tasking even if you wanted to, window XP by default will run with more than 20 processes, with most of them as services. They are the reason it is seemingly smoother with HyperThreading enabled, HyperThreading is a Distributed Processing hack (software accelerated multi-tasking) for P4's deficiency at multi-tasking.
Patrick4357 said:
I just thought HT would increase my FBS so my games run smoother and faster. Still learning here, try not to get to upset.
HyperTransport isn't a bus, it is a Scalable Link Interface.

Scalable Link Interfaces are Distributed Processing hardware designs. As with all Distributed Processing designs, Scalable Link Interfaces are bandwidth-based instead of time-based (Symmetric Processing design) therefore are not rated in actual GHz/MHz frequency rating but effective bandwidth throughput.

For example, typical HyperTransport link real clock frequency is only 200MHz, but having 800MHz or 1000MHz throughput of a conventional FSB.

Similar to an AMD64 (Distributed Processing design) which may actually runs at only 2GHz but having 3GHz throughput of conventional Intel P4s (Symmetric Processing design).

I don't know anything about processers, but I had been told that AMD processers were good for games.

If it doesn't have Hyperthreading, what does one look for in a gaming processer?

Well, I see that some motherboards say this "FSB: 1000MHz Hyper-Transport (2000MT/s)" And well, FSB makes the computer faster on what I have read. Check out this Motherboard, and CPU, pretty decent, if so, or not, direct me to the better ones. Don't get some stuff on it though. Like on this Motherboard, says stuff about Dual-Channeled memory supported (don't know what that means) PCI slots are for sound, modem, video, and etc. boards.(I think) Don't know what PATA, SATA, and SATA RAID mean.

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813153030

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103539

Don't get what a "process type" is seen 90nm, and I think 138. Supports Hyper-Transport, and 64-bit. Don't know anything about the Multimedia Instruction.

Thank you for the help in the future.

RealBlackStuff said:
Nein
please keep your posts simple! (you have been warned before!)
It is simple. One man Data_Processing_101 is another man Guru_Meditation.
RealBlackStuff said:
Nobody is interested in all that blathering.
You can assume Patrick4357 is a stupid tree-stump and tell him technical sweet-nothing for his query as you please, I am not going to stop you.

I myself will assume Patrick4357 is interested and has the basic intelligence for Data_Processing_101 to enable ---> "Still learning here, try not to get to upset."
wirm said:
I don't know anything about processers, but I had been told that AMD processers were good for games.

If it doesn't have Hyperthreading, what does one look for in a gaming processer?
You look for processors having real effective bandwidth which allowed less dependence on cache size. Caching is nearly useless for real-time data and un-predictable non-cannable data.

Your computer and the programmers can not actually know ahead of time of everything you do and wanted to do in a real game, those are the kind of things which can't be predicted, pre-optimized, and can't be pre-cached.

If you only play games or having applications which are 100% predictable ahead of time or non real-time then you wanted to buy Intel's P4s with humongous hardware cache but not real effective bandwidth throughput for real-time and non-cacheable data.

For un-predictable, real-time, non-cannable games/applications you wanted to buy AMD64 series.

Example - Programming is un-cannable, the compilers could not know ahead of time what the programmers will be programming for, what data will be used, nor how the data will be used. AMD64 series are un-disputed compiler champions against any equivalent Intel's P4s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back