A good registry cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowerpower

I installed a trial version this utility called Registry Booster 2 by Uniblue that is supposed to be a good registry cleaner. Reason i brought this up is because i already have RegCleaner, RegScrubXP and a regcleaning utility in CCleaner, however after i cleaned the registry using those 3 the Registry booster found over 200 registry issues. As you guys already know, RegCleaner is a manual cleaner so one must know what to remove, RegScrubXP has an issue finder as well as a manual cleaner and the utility in CCleaner automatically finds issues and one can choose what to remove. Registry booster is like that too though it finds more issues than the other programs, though this program is not free, its 29.99. is this a good registry cleaning program? If not can someone recomend something else?

I don't mind paying for a good registry cleaner since i know that neglecting this issue could cause problems.

I think CCleaner is one of the best out there personally! Sorry I can't recommend anything else really.

You do not need to clean the registry more than 3 times a year.

The performance gain is negligible,and it`s more likely to cause problems.

CCleaner is fine.

I agree that CCleaner is good, but RegCleaner is just as effective. I much prefer to use it when I am dealing with uninformed or noob users... because too many stoopid clients have done themselves real damage with CCleaner. Almost nobody screws up with RegCleaner.

TwealNow was built on the same framework, as the original on which RegClean, RegCleaner, and a few others were designed. I think Juoni Viuorno designed the original while working at Microsoft, but that may be a fairy tale.
Bottom line. TweakNow, RegClean, RegCleaner, and a few others will do all that most thinking people need. They let you see, and think about, what you are doing... whereas, others rush through without telling you a darn thing then want you to make a decision in a hurry at the tend.
The best part about all of these is you learn a lot about how a Registry really works.... Put them together with a real Registry editior and you are going to be a lot smarter.

I always found Advanced System Optimizer, it has a great registry cleaner/fixer and many many other tools.
cheers
Hynesy

Take a look at the section called Registry in www.majorgeeks.com. There are 60 or 70 registry programs there.
Reg Cleaning makes a difference to several factors in tracking down install problems and errors, Po Girl, and thus do indeed affect performance.
But I agree that running registry cleaners routinely does not help... in fact, they are all dangerous... to a degree, with some very dangerous for those who do not have a good foundation in registry editing.

Hey I was curious to know too : -D on what register cleaner to use.

I got couple of recommendation from a friend, like Reg-supreme pro and Reg washer. I haven't clean my registry for almost 1.5 years. I have little knowledge on it, I'm not sure what it will happen if i accidentally deleted the wrong registry' even after the program like reg washer told me safe to delete?
What will happen to my system afterward?

pro and con of using a registry cleaner?

appreciate in advance

I would use neither Reg-Supreme Pro, nor Reg Washer. Too dangerous to existing systems.

What evidence do you have that you need a registry editor? If you don't know, perhaps you have no need. Otherwise, use registry software that targets a known problem.

without question, Crapcleaner (CCleaner) is not only free, but a good registry repair and cleaner.

norton systemworks is also good. (just install the utilities only)

I noticed today that several online sites are now selling the download for CCleaner ending in model number 544. Perhaps the days of the free version are about over. I agree that it is the best for someone who knows how a registry works.

We strongly disagree with Systemworks, as a good registry editor or anything else, in the computers we see in our shops. We deal with a lot of customers who are seniors or elderly. They constantly screwup their registry with Symantec. Then they charge the person as much as $76 to fix the damage done.

I agree with all those that recommend CCleaner. However, as with any registry cleaner, you should make a backup of your registry, just in case something goes wrong. The bottom line is, if you don`t know what you`re deleting, leave it alone.

Regards Howard :)

Both are the best advice you can use. Every register editor worth its salt always gives that warning, yet, as with most things, users often ignore it. CCleaner does have one option that new users often miss which says, in effect in one routine, click here and the damage you do cannot be undone. Too many new users seem to miss that. Which is why I don't think new users should be urged to use CCleaner.

I concur raybay and that`s why I advised backing up the registry and not to delete anything if it`s not known what it is.

Regards Howard :)

I agree with you, Howard. I've had a multitude of customers who've "Wonked" up their pc's because they discovered (from a friend, no doubt) how to run programs like regedit and msconfig. These are also the same people who delete programs instead of uninstalling them, and then they can't figure out why they receive so many error messages where Windows is looking for specific .dll files and .exe files.

I would recommend ccleaner

but cleaning the registry every couple of months is enough, and only really for people who like to run a clean machine.

Its kinda like house keeping for your PC.. but the performance increase is neglible

"Clean" is arbitrary, and only in the mind of the user. I would only use it at times of trouble, because most of the stuff doesn't use much memory or space and harms nothing. If the user does not understand how registrys work, they can "clean" a computer into damage that makes it run poorly.

I think i should just defrag it instead of using registry cleaner xD

say... i'm curious to know; what would happen if you don't clean your registry after couple of years?

I am assuming after a couple years you would have dead/unless registry keys and corrupted ones, not to meantion the corrupted system files. It is recommended reinstalling windows XP every 6-12 months.

Most likely nothing.
Registry cleaners are useful in repairing damage from infestations, but otherwise are only a toy for the neat freaks who want to keep their system in perfect order, not realizing that Registry Cleaners are merely marketing... a source of good money for a number of good programmers.
We are firmly convinced that registry cleaners bring our shop more work than almost anything except virus damage.
The registry is amazingly complex, loaded with unbelievable numbers of pages of critical stuff. Most users have no understanding at all about how the many registries are setup or how they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back