A lingering question

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

I finished making another computer, for a friend of mine, and the problem there is well, let me tell you the stuff...

Floppy
Zip Drive
CDROM
SATA Hard Drive

The letters are screwed up. How do I fix this?

This is what they are:
Floppy: A
Zip Drive: C
CDROM: D
SATA Hard Drive: E

Me and my friend didn't think it would be a problem but the software he has is acting weird and such so he needs the Hard Drive to be C and the Zip to be whatever else.

How can this be fixed?

Currently, the Hard Drive is in the 1st SATA channel of the mobo, the cdrom is connected to primary as master at the end of the 40-pin cable, and the zip drive is connected to the secondary as slave (there's no pins/jumpers to make it master) at the end of the 40-pin cable.

How can I put everything back to normal?

Thanks alot,
Matt

Disk Management in Computer Management in Administrative Tools control panel in Windows XP can change drive letters easily. Recommend to uninstall those programs that want the HD to be C first, then reinstall after the change though.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I tried that method already. It won't let me change the drive that has the "boot/system" information on it.

Anyhow, I reformated with only the HD, CDROM, and floppy (apparently the winzip drive caused problems on windows install), and I got it working again.

Thanks for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back