A new router needed, I guess..

Status
Not open for further replies.

pork

While installing new firmware (due to problem described herefor my router my PC and router crashed. When i turned them both on, the router is now broken.

Netgear said it's completely broken, and no warranty means no replacement.

Looks like i'll be getting a new router. Whats the best option, and will it dix my problem?

That was very silly of you to tell Netgear that you were updating the firmware!
Take the router back to the shop and say it "broke". You will probably get a replacement.

zephead said:
Careful with this - Linksys makes a couple of good products, but a whole lot of really bad ones. Brand preference means ziltch when choosing a router.

Netgear said it's completely broken, and no warranty means no replacement.
No warranty because you flashed it or no warranty because its too old? If it is the former, send it back anyway. If it was a bad flash, Netgear doesn't have a clue that's the case and they'll replace it with no questions asked.

In my opinion, Nodsu's advice of taking it back to the store is the best option. That way you don't have to jump through hoops with Netgear about bureaucratic shipping, warranty and replacement policies. The store doesn't care about what happened to it - just whether it works or not.

If you feel timid about 'ripping off' Netgear, remind yourself that it is NETGEAR's router and NETGEAR's official firmware. It is really, honestly, not your fault. If they made the device well enough, this would have never happened to begin with. If you were installing 3rd party firmware like OpenWRT, then you can feel a little guilty - although they will still take it back if you don't tell them. ;)

i use linksys routers all the time, they are generally more reliable than netgear in my experience. although i've seen my share of bad routers that never worked out of the box.

It's a hit and miss when it comes to routers, but Dynex EX401 wired router it has a lot of features SPI/NAT DDS, Game and VPN modes, ethernet cable check tester and a lot stuff and cheap but quick and works like a charm 5 months straight without a reboot and etc.. I also use Buffalo MINO High Power for Wireless Access Point/Router has a lot features like pivacy mode for your wireless things like that you don't see too often. I got it for the MINO and built in High Gain ANT which is very strong...

I use and install for others linksys D-linkand some intel higher end stuff
I had tried a few suggestions from here and went back to above in the order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back