A peculiar problem....PLZ HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehacker

i m running Pentium D(Dual COre) rated at 2.8ghz with 512 MB ram and with stock coolers. I hv Win XP SP2 installed on my system.
now, when i OC it to 3.15ghz and restart my comp....it works fine but when i restart my windows shows blue screen of death and even if i de-OC it and restart my win doesnot starts.....
and without formatting i hv no option
can anyone help to get rid of this....
and also when i run CPU at its default speed and stress CPU, mobo temps go very high about 60 C. and CPU temps to 55-60 C. is OC safe for me? and is my case properly ventilated(wich i dont think so)?
plz help
hacker

Assuming you used the bios to overlock your rig, clear your cmos by either moving the jumper or pulling the battery out for a minute or two.
That should set it back to default.
Temps WILL rise when you overclock. You'd benefit from a better cooler than the stock one. You may also benefit from an extra case fan or two.

k.jacko said:
Assuming you used the bios to overlock your rig, clear your cmos by either moving the jumper or pulling the battery out for a minute or two.
That should set it back to default.
Temps WILL rise when you overclock. You'd benefit from a better cooler than the stock one. You may also benefit from an extra case fan or two.
yeh k.jacko.......first of all thanks for ur reply.and i change to default settings by changing the bios settings again...but my win doesnt start...when i OC 1st time after bios nothing came...just a blank screen.....but when i OCed 2nd time it said "NTLDR missing". and after this error even WinXP setup was not runing...then i had to load win 2000 then format all the drives then i installed winxp again...i think my whole HDD became corrupted d 2nd time i OCed.....so is it common?? and how to avoid this?? i already hav 1 extra chasis fan installed..
and is only Fan cooling sufficient for overclocking my CPU from 2.8 to 3.15?
PLZ REPLY MY ALL QUESTIONS IF POSSIBLE

"NTLDR Missing" literally means that your hard drive is empty. No Windows.I think you are right about your hardisk being corrupt. This is why I do not overclock. I would rather but a faster processor. You can't run too much cooling. Better to keep your PC comfortable. Good Luck.

pdyckman@comcas said:
"NTLDR Missing" literally means that your hard drive is empty. No Windows.I think you are right about your hardisk being corrupt. This is why I do not overclock. I would rather but a faster processor. You can't run too much cooling. Better to keep your PC comfortable. Good Luck.
thanks for ur reply....ya buying faster one is great but from where u can buy a 4.4 or so GHz processor?? nowhere but u can get it by OCing. thats y i was just trying....

What does overclocking your processor have to do with HDD failures? o.O

Well, I suppose you could have stuffed it up by NOT locking your PCI/AGP/SRC ratios

CMH said:
What does overclocking your processor have to do with HDD failures? o.O

Well, I suppose you could have stuffed it up by NOT locking your PCI/AGP/SRC ratios
plz carify a bit....wat is it and how to do it??? thanks for replying

I'll let CMH deal with the technicalities of what he just said, but i too was wondering, how overclocking could upset your hdd?
Unless overclocking played havoc with your voltages somehow :confused:

k.jacko said:
I'll let CMH deal with the technicalities of what he just said, but i too was wondering, how overclocking could upset your hdd?
Unless overclocking played havoc with your voltages somehow :confused:
now after i will watch out the voltages too....i have a Mercury Motherboard model PVM7 Pro. in its bios there is a setting name "Cpu Overclocking". its disabled by default. when i enable it a new item gets activated is CPU overclocking frequecy. its value is 300mhz. and i cant change it..now when i restart it shows 3.15ghz. but when i change to default setting win becomes corrupt. and last time whole hard disk corrupted

I don't know if they are there with older lga775 boards, but they were in the socket 478. They are missing in my Core2Duo system, that much I know.

And when I overclocked my 478 system, and messed around with those ratios, I end up losing all my data.

Sorry, but thats about all I know about those ratios.

no my mobo has lga775 socket.
ya one more thing that i noticed is.....
everybody says dat CPU is the hottest part of the System and it shud be the.
but in my comp temp censors say a different story. IDLE mobo temp is 43-44 degree C whereas IDLE processor temp is 32 degree C. wats d matter???

mobo (system) temp is probably the temp inside the case. And it does seem too high. Do you have cable all over the place, restricting decent air flow? How big is your case? Is it full atx? Do you have any case fans installed?

ya i have a case fan installed at the back for air outlet...And now i have opened up the case and just now installed a small table fan at a distance from the case. yes its full atx. and now the temps reading for IDLE are 44 for motherboard and 36 for CPU.

opening the case doesn't necessarily work, as the cool air being blown across the components is now being drawn out of the case and away from them.
Whats the ambient room temp? Cos if its generally warm that won't help any. Does the psu have a fan (or 2) blowing into the case?

no psu is not blowing air into the case. and the table fan is blowing cool air inside the case not taking cool air out.

and i think opening the case and seting the fan has solved my problem....now IDLE cpu temp is 32.its ok i think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back