A problem booting Windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bell1313

So, I have had a problem for a long time booting windows. I get so far and then i have to choose between "Windows XP Home" or "Windows XP professional". If i dont choose windows XP home, and choose Proffesional then I have to manually shut down and restart, which means i have to stay with my computer whilst it boots. I have never had a problem like this before. Anyone got any ideas. Also i think this might have something to do with my audio problems.

Thanks in Advance.

It's a spam advertising post. I've reported it.

Back to your problem. Do you happen to have both versions of Windows installed?

What audio problem?

Along the lines of mailpup;
do you have one hard drive partitioned out with both operating systems installed on it or,
do you have two hard drives with different operating systems on each?
If you have two hard drives installed, both with a different version of an operating system (Win XP Home and XP Pro), this will sometimes confuse Windows in such a way as to not know which one to boot from. This is also made worse depending on how you have the two hard drives hooked up.
I've done it before, but what I did was to have my master as the primary boot drive for Win XP Home w/SP2 and the secondary (slave) only running Win XP w/ SP1. I later got around this problem by reformatting my slave drive and not installing an OS onto it. I used the software that came with the HDD to only utilize it as a storage drive, running the OS from my primary drive alone. I later then experimented with running them in RAID 0 configuration (two identical 80 gig Western Digital's) in which they were configured as one large storage device instead of two. This required a reformat and fresh install of Win XP Home and then the installation of the RAID drivers during installation when prompted.

I have a feeling i have confused the system. Is it possible to uninstall windows and then reinstall?

Anyone got any ideas?

Sure it's possible. Do you have the Windows install disk?? If you do, back up all your data so you don't lose it. Go into the bios and set the boot priority to CDROM as your first boot device. Put the disk in the CDROM and reboot. When it boots back up, you'll have the option to either do a fresh install (hard drive is completely reformatted) or to repair Windows. I firmly believe that a fresh install is the best way to go ANYTIME you reinstall the os. Repairing Windows might not always work.
Hope this has been helpful.

Thx

I am kinda a newbie and im not sure what bios is.. where is it? Sorry for my dumbness.
Thanks in Advance

As soon as you turn on your system, tap (and continue to tap) your delete key. Most mobo's bring you into your system bios this way. Some others are F8 or another key. Usually when you turn your system on, it will flash (rather quickly) "Press delete to enter bios".
When you tap your delete key during this process, it will bring you to a screen (usually the first screen will show the system clock and the boot devices attached to your system)
Across the top you will see specific menus. The one you will be looking for will be labeled boot sequence or something to that affect. Use your right arrow key to scroll to that option and either that screen will appear or you might have to hit enter (depending on the bios type and board manufacturer). What you want to do is to change the boot sequence from the first boot device (should be your hard drive) to your CDROM. Then you may have to hit escape to get back to the menu across the top. Select save and exit. This will automatically change the boot sequence to CDROM as the first device. Once the system reboots, it will now boot from the CD and the loading process should start. Follow the on screen options for fresh install. Once the process is complete and the system automatically reboots, don't forget to get back into the bios (same way as above) and change the boot sequence back to first priority to boot (hard drive), and then save and exit. The system will now boot into Windows from the hard drive. Remember to then insert your motherboard cd and install all motherboard drivers. Then ensure you get your virus and firewall up as soon as possible. You could wait until you download and install at least SP1, but don't wait too long because until you do, your system is at risk.
Let's just hope this takes care of the problem. I'm sure you know what to load next.
Good Luck!!

Thanks for the good luck, im sure as hell gonna need it!

It didnt work, it said something wasn't installed?!? I cant rember exactly but it said this thing wasnt installed. Erm, i just cant remeber at the moment. It will come.

I just cant remeber. Any idea? It might have been hard drive.

Yes, it was the hard drive. Please help me. I have a feeling this thread has gone cold...

Hate to sound like a pain in the ****, but without knowing what error message Windows is telling you about what is missing, it's really hard to diagnose without the comp in front of me at this point.'
Could you repeat what you did the first time you received the message and write it down this time?
Also, are you only running one hard drive or do you have more than one? Do you have the drive hooked to an IDE cable (long, wide and flat with one long thin plastic connector at one end and two on the other side of the cable (one at the end and another about 1-2 inches below that one on the ribbon between both ends), or is it a thin cable with short plugs on each end?

Only one

Only one hard drive. I dont see the need of a second 1. But, i will do it again. Straight after I done something. It should only take a 1/2 hour.

It didnt.

It didn't. The hard disk is the thing it said wasnt installed. So what do i do now. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

At this point, it's either a bad cable or the drive itself is going bad. It's an IDE hard drive, right? If you have another cable, try attaching that one. If that doesn't work, I believe the hard drive itself may be bad. One other thing you might want to check is the jumper settings on the drive itself. Remove the drive and look at the back of it where the IDE connector and power connector are attached. You should see either a grey or black pin cover, and somewhere around it imbossed into the plastic somewhere around the pins CS, Slave or Master. Check to see which set of pins the cover is on. It should be on the Master since you only have one hard drive.
I would first check the jumper settings. If that doesn't work, replace the cable. If that doesn't work, gotta be the drive itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back