A simple fix -- How to I get WinAmp back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the middle of moving and will not have my newer computer up and running for at least another two weeks.

my old standby, a Windows 95, works well except in
terms of letting me listen to Internet downloads.

I especially like the site "Wymsey" which is out of the UK and features interesting music. This site requires WinAmp.

Now WinAmp is on my machine, but apparently is no longer the default. How do I re-establish that as the default? (My brain synthesizer program has somehow taken over)

Carol Dagg Sterritt

Staff Reporter The Coastal Post (www.coastalpost.com)

Click on the top left corner of Winamp,then go to options/preferences/file types,then you can associate file types individually or select all.If you check the winagent box that will stop other progs taking over.

Thanks for the quick reply.

A family member is ill, so I cannot try your suggestion immediately.

BUT I should mention this - the program seems to run (WinAmp I mean) but there is no sound. Now I have done all the regular things, made sure there are no "mutes" on any of the switches or programs involving sound.

But about a month ago, I was luistening to a CD (or attempting to) using my CD player program on WIndows 95. Apparently the CD was one of those Sony Copy-written CD's - I cannot get any sound to come out of my CD player since I was given a warning that I had no right to play this CD (The Windows 95 simply does not understand such a thing as the encrypted overly protected CD's - that possibility was before there time - so not only cann I not record with my Nero Burn program such a CD - I cannot even listen to them - even if I have bought and paid for them) But I have never had the playing of such a protected CD affect the future palying of ther CDs that Windows 965 always accepted.

Carol

The one good thing is you likely didn't get that rootkit installed. Your antiquated OS saved you there. :)

You can still play that CD in a non-PC CD player. That rootkit issue doesn't apply to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back