A very dead system and a very sad person

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Staff
I recently bought a new case. I transferred my parts over to the case and my computer no longer displays a video signal.

The video card works in another system, I am unable to check the Athlon CPU or motherboard since I do not have any other Athlon systems available.

I have a very obvious clue about what went wrong though. I accidentally powered on the computer without a heatsink on. It was only on for maybe 2 seconds before I realized it and I promptly unplugged it. But in that period of time, I heard a "pop" and what was almost a sizzle.

My question is, is it more likely the 1.33GHz Athlon XP burned itself out, or the motherboard?

The hard disks and CDROMs still spin up, but there is no video signal displayed at all.

aside from swapping the CPU out, I've went through the usual diagnosis... Removed all the peripherals/cards etc.. Cleared the CMOS.. Reseated the memory and tried different DIMMs/Modules. And all that good stuff.

I'm hoping it is the CPU because I can replace that fairly cheaply.. But the motherboard... I don't know. :\

There are appear to be no black marks.. Funny smells or anything indicative of something getting too hot. I have checked both the CPU and the socket.

Is this possible?

Well, I went out on a limb and ordered a new CPU. Hopefully my CPU was dead and not anything else.

Rick, my FTP server is now online again, here was the pic I was talking about, this is a dead 1,0ghz AXIA T-Bird I have

Look in the "bottom corner" you see that the "underfill" (blue silicone) has got burnt there?

That is a dead chip...

UPDATE: Oh my, forgot the pic:eek:

cpu.JPG

Here's a picture of mine:
deadXPfront.jpg

I bought an Athlon 1600+ to replace my 1500+ for $54 USD. So far so good... It looks like it was definitely my CPU afterall, even though it didn't show any physical signs of defectiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back