A Weird Problem No. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendMind

Hello dear friends,

I have been asking u for help with the same thread title i.e. "A Weird Problem" and was able to rectify problem for good with your valueable help, guys.

Now I am facing rather more intricate problem (at least it is intricate for me) which is:

1) Till the last night my system was operating without any problem and was running smoothly as it should be.

2) Today, when I booted it up, after 3 or 5 minutes it restrated without any warning or any other symptom, it just restarted.

3) This problem presists and system restarts arbitrarily usually within 5 minutes. My system specs are as under:

----------------------------------------------------------
Board: Intel D865GSA - 800MHz SB

Processor: Intel Origional 3.0 GHz - Socket 775 - 800MHz FSB

RAM: Kingston 512MB x 2 = 1GB DDR-400

DVD-Writer: ASUS 1608P3S

UPS: Alpha 5305 Digital, 500VA

Graphics Card remains same i.e. nVidia Inno3D 6600GT 128 MB
-------------------------------------------------------------

One thing more, when my system is in idle state i.e. no program or activity is going on then it does not restart.

Thanks in advance.

When it restarts jump into the BIOS and check out what temperature the processor is running at. Given the system specs I suspect the Pentium 4 3.0GHz LGA775 processor is overheating as they can easily do if the heatsink is no seated perfectly.

Check your Event Viewer in the Administrative Tools in Control Panel. Check to see if anything funny happened Application, Security, or System logs.

Run a program by the name of speedfan and see if you can measure the system temperature.

Unless he kicked the case (and dislodged the heatsink) there is no reason to suspect overheating since there have been no problems in the past. He also said nothing is going on when this happens. In my recent expierence a pentium d will heat up really fast if the heat sink isn't on properly, it will be hotter by the time windows finishes loading up than it will idling in windows. Which would cause it to reboot or lock up before it has a chance to idle.

My respectable friends, Thanks for ur exchange of views regarding my problem.

Well, dear friends, I think I have cracked the problem as it turns out to be a power related problem i.e. unstable voltage is causing all this problem. As the problem of unstable voltage was experienced by almost 75% of the country due to a sudden power breakdown of the backbone of electricity supplying system.

As I am living in the capital city of my country therefore, here power was restored comparatively earlier than most of the parts of the country but I think they must have not restored it fully and as the computers are very sensitive to power therefore, the problem of restarting arose.

Anyhow, the problem is no more (At least for now :). and power of all the the country is restored within 8 hours.

However, what I would like to discuss with u and have comments from u is that I have UPS in place to cater to this power shortage/ electricity problem. It is a good brand (as it is one of the most commonly used brands in my locality) but it played no role in aforementioned situation. Why?

Also, please let me know what is the proper way to use UPS i.e. should I never switch off the power supply to the UPS after shutting down the computer or not?

With regards,

Thank u very much.

well, a few questions if i may..
-what is the brand and make/model of the UPS?
-Are you sure it has enough power to let you safely shut down your PC and -other hardware connected to it?
-Do you use its pc-link connection thing so your pc automaticaly shut down when power goes out?
-does it get enough time to recover after a power out etc?

The sticker at the back shows following information:

UPS band name : Alfa Digital (Made in Taiwan)
UPS brand model: Alfa 5305
Capacity: 50jA
Input: 220/ 50Hz
output: 220/ 50Hz

I couldn't find out anything on the brand name or model on google.. however there is a "Alpha Power" brand although i don't know if thats the same one..

If you do find out some info on it look to see if it has any circuit protection function (overload/spike cut-off) or power conditioning.. if those are missing then that UPS is just a gigantic battery that charges and lets the pc run an extra few minutes after power's cut..

Intel d865gsa

Have had much experience of this board having built over 40 systems with it. Turns out to be one oth the most unreliable Intel boards I have ever used. Most faults have been intermittant reboots for no apparent reason, unable to complete an OS install because of various CAB file errors and same for MS office 2003. Contact Intel and get a warranty replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back