A7N8X Deluxe & Barton 3200 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys! Wierd problem here! I upgraded from a 2500 Barton to the 3200 (I know I could have OC'd it but I've had little luck with that. My problem is when I installed the new CPU, the system would not boot up to Windows. It just locks up. Is there a problem with my specs or did I get a bum CPU. When I placed the 2500 back in it worked fine. I reset it in and checked everything and all wires, seating, ect were fine. I just wanted to ensure it's not my settings before I RMA this thing.

A7N8X Deluxe Rev. 1.04
1008 Bios
Arctic Silver 5
Windows XP SP2
1 GB Geil Dragon 3200

The 1.04 revision of that board doesn't officially support the 200mhz FSB. There's a BIOS update that has been released specifically for that reason but it is still a hit'&'miss affair. Some people can get it to work stable with that CPU, but most people can't.

The 2.0 revision is the one meant to support the 3200+.

PS. Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

Oh Well

Well, I guess it's time to kick this ASUS board to the curb. I have had nothing but heartache from this board. I know many people sweear by it and in the past, I would have agreed on ASUS. But after this experience, I believe I'm done with ASUS. I've NEVER been able to get my video card to work without disabling 8x AGP (hangs up everytime unless I turn it down to 4x). Overclocking was not very impressive for me but then again, I'm just a rookie. ASUS tech support is the absolute worst also. And now with the upgraded processor not working, it's time to move on.

My question is what do you guys reccomend as a good replacement? I'm leaning towards the ABIT NF7-S. Basically I just want something that will run my 3200, onboard sound, Nforce2 chipset and STABLE, STABLE, STABLE with no issues with 8x AGP. I'm tired of cracking open my case when it's not an upgrade. Thanks all!!! Huey

Bios

What is the "best" bios for this board? If I'm going to switch bboards anyways, I might as wll try flashing the BIOS in an attempt to improve things. I've seen where others have suggested the 1.0.11/12 Bios for the A7N8X-E Deluxe boards. Would this work on my old Rev 1.04 board? I'm a little wary of using a diff board's bios but some of you may have tried it.

You should not flash your motherboard's BIOS with a version intended for another board.

Here Here,

I agreed, kick the hunk of garbage to the curb. I spent 3 hour, mostly on hold with the asus tech support. Same problem, I tried going from the 2100 to the barton 3000. Yes, I had the new bios. these *****s didnt even remind me to move the jumper to open up the 266 to 333mhz option. The simply asked me to send the board to them. great now I will be without a puter for 10 week. WHile they "test" it.

Horrible tech support, horrible compatability with other products. Where else can you sell a lemon and say , Oh but we plan to make a patch to fix that.

It is quite clear which revisions of the board support which kinds of CPU. It is up to the consummer to inform himself before making his purchase. & it's the same with other companies. If you buy an Abit NF7-S 1.2 revision, do not expect to get a 3200+ to work on it either.

I have the same board, same rev. same proc, and trying to upgrade to the same proc. When I boot up it boots fine, but it only recognises the cpu as 1075MHZ instead of 2200MHZ. I updated to bios 1008 and still nothing. The real problem is I can't afford a new mobo.
Thanks
Dan Crunk
EDIT:
Ok, today has been a bad day with everything. I just realized to set it manually in the bios and it worked.

Processor

I have an ASUS A7N8X board and have the latest Bios update and after 1 day the computer started doing all kinds of strange things.Bios is 2.0 rev.1010.I put the 3200+ on Ebay and put the 2400+ back in.when i can afford to update the board then i will get a faster cpu.I also was told by ASUS tech support that with the bios update the board will run the 3200+.Well it won't.

REvision 2.0 and BIOS 10.13 will support a 3200xp with no problems Just did a friends computer for him and placed a 3200 in his ..I have the same board with a 2500 Overclocked works jsut fine will be placing a 3200 xp in it here in a few weeks.. They very good boards with the right BIOS jsut a little picky with ram is all..Please not you will find that BIOS on there web page..

Bios Update

you would'nt have a link for that Bios update would you?I have searched their web site many times and could'nt find any update for my board.

I know you wanted to use the old motherboard with the new processor, but you could try to return the processor.

The reason I say this is you would probably be better off with an Athlon 64 processor and motherboard. If you are looking at buying a new motherboard I think Athlon 64 just makes more sense economically. Hind sight is always 20-20 I guess. I have an A7N8X 400 Ultra and it will take a 3.2 Gig Processor, but I think when I buy a new processor it will be Athlon 64 CPU and Motherboard.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2_Platinum&class=mb
This is what im upgrading to roughly 85-90 bucks, im upgrading to this for dual channel memory that I plan to upgrade to, currently my MSI KT6V works great with my AMD barton 3200 400FSB, but I wanted to get 1GB of Dual Channel Muskin or Corsair. I would go with MSI, built 4 systems with their boards and not problems with them yet, and they have some cool programs to OC if you want.

Just my 2 cents. I currently have this

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=KT6V-LSR&class=mb

A7n8x Bios

tbrunt3 said:
Sorry my fault I have the A7N8X-E Deluxe so was my friends that is the better board the king of socket "A" guess I have to stop reading these at 4 am and sleep ..I believe the BIOS you need to resolve your problem is you need
( * PCB 1.06 or earlier version need BIOS update ) the biso update will be 1004

which can be found here

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpus...200+(400 MHz FSB)(Model 10)(Barton)&BIOS=1004
Yes,i found out real quik it was for the deluxe board which does'nt help me.I overclocked the 2400+ to run at 2200MHZ and will quit there.my Bios is 2.0 rev1010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back