A7N8X-X clock speed problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidosmosis

I just installed my new motherboard which is a A7N8X-X and am still using my AMD Athlon XP 2100+ processor.

I set clock speeds in BIOS for 133/133, yet for some reason the processor is still being detected as 1500+.

CPU multiplier is 13.0x

Try clearing the CMOS (theres a jumper on the mobo, RTFM if you cant find it).

.. Just an idea :-\

Already tried that :)

So far I have

1. Cleared CMOS
2. Switched the CPU FSB jumper around
3. Update my bios to August 2003

Neither of those made any difference either.

Can you not change the multi or fsb at all?
Thats really weird.. Maybe its your CPU?

Is it possible your CPU is designed for a 166Mhz bus?

If the multiplier is really 13, then that would mean it should be 133 though. Hmmm.

My processor is fine. I took it straight out of the other motherboard right before I put this one in.

The CPU is made for a 266mhz FSB.

I am getting reports of 1500+ from BIOS and from WCPUID.

I would like to thank Rick for his most excellent suggestion to remove the FSB jumper on my motherboard. That fixed the problem.

Thanks Rick! You are officialy the man!

For future reference, I suggested that Acidosmosis remove a jumper that controls the FSB speed.

By default, my board ( Aopen AK77n ) also came with this jumper set at 100MHz FSB. I guess this may be the case on many new motherboards (don't know why...)

As long as that jumper is on, it is impossible to control the FSB speed through your BIOS setup.

Originally posted by acidosmosis
This board has settings for 200 and 266/333/400. I had it set for 266/333/400. I guess Asus screwed up.

Oddly enough the jumper is present on my board ( a7n8x DX ) & set to 266/333/400. It had a few problems posting at first, but that was because the ClearCMOS jumper was set to ON.:dead:

Like SB told me, it's probably someone at ASUS that got layed off & decided he wanted to get a laugh before leaving. He prolly set a bunch of jumpers wrong on a whole series of cards before leaving the factory.:D

And the lesson we've all learnt from this?

...(wait for it).... Buy Intel :D

weeeee.... (only joking :p don't flame me) :]

shall we flame greeno for the fun of it? even suggesting buying intel is a stoning-to-death offence!
*gets a disapproving look from everyone*
oh ok - i give in
if he REALLY must have his own opinions i suppose we have to let him *sigh*

Steg

Well, Intel buyers end up paying $400 for a processor you could otherwise pay $100 for. If that's what they want to do then it is their money, and so be it.

:)))))))))))

I'm a MASSIVE NVIDIA fan to :D

(Till now... I dont have a Radeon 9800Pro [yet] but I intent to tho :'()

for me...its sad to see the balance of power well and truely shifted...but NVIDIA can't seem to do a thing right nowadays.

It's all down to those ex SGI guys at ATI. They really know their stuff, and were responsible for the R300 core that put ATI firmly back on the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back