Abends of Windows Scheduler

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbhall

I run overnight jobs using Windows Scheduler and it never ends properly.

n the first case I run under Win98se and execute a batch file to do some backups.

This batch file has all the necessary properties set to 'close window when process completes'. What happens is the batch file ends, but in fact it never does close the window itself, and the scheduler does not recognise the job is ended, so after waiting a certain time (as specified in the scheduler), the scheduler ends the job abnormally, and closes the window.

In the second case I run under WinXP professional and execute MS XP Synctoy to do some backups, with the proper switches set as described in the help for Synctoy. What happens is Synctoy successfully runs to completion, then the scheduler abends with 'application generated an exception that could not be handled', plus some guff about the address which is always different.

Am I missing something, or has MS REALLY not looked at scheduler for years and years, or checked if it actually works properly with Synctoy?

The Windows Task Scheduler ignores the properties set in .pif files. What you have to do, is tell Task manager to run the corresponding .pif file and not the .bat itself.

Eg if you have magic.bat and you set its properties so that it would run minimised etc, then point the scheduler at magic.pif that was created in the same folder as the batch file.

One out of two !

Thanks Nodsu - your solution is correct for scheduling a batch file.

Is there a pif method for SyncToy in XP ? I just faithfully followed the help from within Synctoy itself on how you schedule it, and (apart from the fact it does the job), it always abends at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back