About the IBM HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy

Allot of people are very negative about IBM.
It is true that allot of Deskstars break down, but whats the cause?

Try cooling your HD, I found that it works perfectly when you cool it, they seem to be very sensative to heat.
On top of the HD there is a little hole and it clearly says to make sure it is not covered.

Most of the time the HD breaks down because it runs to hot!
I myself have had some problems with the HD until I read a few forums and found a post saying to make sure it is cool enough.

I still think IBM hard drive's rock in performence/price.

Greets Crazy

PS: If you reply, plz keep it civillized. I've seen it on other forums that people are keen to get emotional about this topic:rolleyes:

The 75GXP & 60GXP both were very prone to failures. It's not related to heat, maybe a bit but not entirely.

I always thought IBM sold a lot of those units, so the amount of RMAed drives was higher then for other brands but if you were to look at the percentage of failed drives compared to the total amount sold, it would be the same % as other brands. That wasn't the case. They had a very high failure quota & I don't believe they've ever fixed it with those two series.

Those are the only series of drives from IBM that are known to have lots of problems. The ones that have been released afterwards do not exhibit such problems.:)

I beleave it has to do something with heat, in some cases that is.
If I don't put a cooler on my IBM it stops working afther a half hour. I' ve had this hd for about a year and a half and before cooling it i had
- Lose in performence
- Suddenly stop functioning
- strainge noise

IBM might have a problem with failing drive's but I myself beleave that allot(not all) cases could have been solved just by cooling the hard drive

Greets Crazy,

Well IBM drives shouldn't need special conditions to perform on par with other drives. If your case temperature doesn't go above 30/40°C, there is simply no reason for the HDD to fail IMO.

A lot of PC users are very noise aware. Extra cooling generally means extra noise even with low RPM fans, there's always a low hum that's added.

But like I said in your other thread, I still have a 75GXP ( 30GB ) which is working fine after more then 3 years ( without any speial cooling ). There was an area of about 2GB on it that I couldn't use anymore, but a nice application by the name of HDDRegen recovered all the defective clusters. & I really mean recovered, it didn't mark them as defective. After using HDDregen, I did a long surface scan & where the OS would previouslly hang, it now works flawlessly.:grinthumb

I used HDD Regenerator to recover a defective Maxtor drive (80GB 540x series) and it's worked fine ever since.
As for cooling, no hard drives like running hot, so you should always have adequate cooling in your case. Same for other components.

The problem with many users that post is that once they hear about an issue with a particular piece of hardware, they start assuming that anything produced from that point on has the same problem. There are quite a few inaccurate accusations that seem to constantly come up again and again, because users can't be bothered to check the details out for themselves, and instead choose to continue to perpetrate the same misinformation forevermore. Nuff said.

In the other tread allot of users said IBM deskstars ALL suck.
But the matter is that they aren't all that bad.
The IBM I have easily outruns ANY other HD I ever had. The bad thing is that it needs extra cooling. Most users want high quality for very low prices. The Deskstars come cheap with high performence. But it also has its disadvatiges.
I for one don't bother with the noise of the fan(its only a small one) because most of the time I have music on or I'm gaming and then you dont hear the fans.

Allot of users don't know that this HD is very sensitive about cooling:grinthumb and extra cooling really helps the life span and performance.

Greets Crazy,

Yes, its a general belief that the DeskStar sucks. This is because of the many problems with them a few years ago. The ones didou refered to which were sometimes called "Deathstar".
Although this is no longer a problem, many people still shun IBM drives because of it. Many of those who talk of the IBM drives being bad have never even used one. I know several people still using drives which were included in the series affected by the suddent death syndrome.

I noticed Nic mention HDD Regenerator, that app is a miracle cure. It is truely worth the money. It makes impossible claims and I laughed the first time I saw its description because I thought there was no way a piece of software could fix the things it said it could fix. But after personally using it to repair several drives that would otherwise have been dead due to failing diagnostic tests and warranties being no longer valid, I can assure you, it DOES what it says it does, and does it well.

If you are using a 60GXP or a 75GXP and haven't updated the firmware you probably should. It is said to significantly reduce the failure rate of those drives by removing the drive heads around a bit while the drive is idling.
Go here for the fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back