Access Denied: Locked file name

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have somehow got a file NAME locked. I got my iTunes locked and managed to delete the files. Now, I cannot reinstall because all the file names are still locked. The install software stops with an access denied error when trying to create iTunes.exe.

It is impossible to create "iTunes.exe" anywhere on my computer. I have tried creating a new txt file and then renaming it to "iTunes.exe" as a test and I get the following error:

Cannot rename New Text Document: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

I have 19GB free space, it's not write protected because I could create the new Text Document.txt, and the files cannot be in use because they don't exist (at least they don't show up in windows explorer). Somewhere in memory, these iTunes files are protected.

I am totally stumped on what could be protecting this file name or how to just reset all the protections.

Have checked Task Manager

I have checked the task manager, and have also gone through and one by one ended tasks and then tried to create a file named "iTunes.exe" and still get the error message.

So, I'm guessing that it is either locked by one of the protected tasks that I cannot end, or there is a reference file somewhere that has all protected files on it that includes "iTunes.exe" and no program is actually adding it each time I reboot, but it has just been left in that file somehow.

I have used OpenFilesView.exe to see what files the system believes are open, but iTunes.exe nor iTuneshelper.exe are on it (both files are locked on my system).

FIXED!!!: How or Why this did it, I don't know.

For everyone out there who gets this same error and is hopelessly googling the error code, I have managed to fix it... kind of by accident.

So, I had given up and was going to use the system restore. So I did that, but of course when XP has you down, it just keeps kicking you and the restore wouldn't work. I tried a different point, and again, i didn't work. So I googled how to get the restore to work and someone mentioned using safe mode.

My computer is a work computer and my login is on a network domain... which I will be locked out of it in safe mode. So I created a local user and then did a test login with that user. It worked. good. Then I thought I'd just try to make "itunes.exe" with a new txt file on the desktop and the computer let me while using that login.

I tried to restore the computer in this account, but that failed. So I went back into my normal login and for some reason, the lock on "iTunes.exe" was cleared! I was able to make the file on my desktop.

Now I have reinstalled iTunes and it appears to be working perfectly. Who knows why all that did it, but I'm just glad it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back