Access denied to file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pls Need Help Fast!!

I just upgraded my Windows Home Ed to Windows XP pro and all my files in 'MyDocuments' are no more accessible.
I tried using the XP file transfer wizard but no good.
Tried using tips given in other threads too but no good too.
I need help!!! Anybody??????

Welcome to TechSpot

you need to reclaim ownership of the files as explained in many, many posts already

you will be a different user on XP-pro from XP-home, even if you used the same name. You can take ownership of these files as follows:
Boot XP-pro into Safe Mode (Press F8 a few times when starting up) as an administrator. Now use Explorer to go to the folders etc. on your XP-home-drives, right-click them, select Properties, click the Security tab and click OK if a security message pops up. Click Advanced, then Owner tab. In the Name list select your (administrator's) name. Mark the Replace Owner on subcontainers and objects check box. Click OK, Yes and OK.

For taking ownership of files, rightclick them, Security tab, Advanced, Owner tab. In Name list select Administrator or Admin-group and click OK. Click Add and in the "Enter the object...list" type a user or group account or Administrator. Click OK. In the group or user name list, click the account you want (e.g. Administrator), then tick the check boxes for permissions, e.g. Full Control [Allow].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back