access denied to host computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue_dragon

I have a dsl modem connected to a router which networks a windows xp home with a printer and a windows 98 computer
I can access all the shared folders on the windows 98 pc using the win xp home pc but it does NOT work vice versa
I want to access my win xp home using windows 98 pc because the xp pc hosts a bigger HD and a printer
they both share the SAME work group
HELP ME..I've been stumped for 2 weeks :(

You need to have the same username on both the Win98 and XP. And you obviously have to enable file sharing on the XP firewall.

I think I do

I think I do have the same user name and password and its not in a domain; however, I've heard that you cant access a newer OS with an older OS

Rubbish. I have Win98 clients accessing shares off Server 2003 clients.
It is all about security. Disable Windows Firewall on the XP PC as a test, then from the 98 PC browse to the XP machine via UNC path (either by IP address or hostname) \\pcnameorIPaddress\
You should be prompted for a username and password or it will not work ... either one. If prompted for a username, use a username that you log on to the xp machine with.
XP Home may give you problems with regards to file permissions, as it does not give you the option to disable simple file sharing.

well..

when i browse to my gateway (router) it asks for password
but when I browse to my computer xXX.xXX.Xx.x it gives me the same error "no permission to access resource"
I've tried pinging and it returns with no loss

Have you correctly configured a shared folder on your XP PC?
Try typing the following in a command prompt:

net use \\ipaddressofxpmachine

It should either prompt you with a username and password or it will fail.
If you had XP Pro I would suggest turning off Simple File Sharing and configure permissions appropriately, but you can't.

Make sure Windows Firewall is switched off, that you can ping the IP address of the XP PC and that any other software firewalls present on each PC is turned off.

results of net use

remote name \\rudy\IPC$
resource type (null)
# opens 0
# connections 1
the command complete successfully

use the Map Network Drive option ... the \\system\share technique has other
requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back