Access Denied!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently rebuilt my computer except for my hard drive. I upgraded to XP Professional from Home Edition. Now the file Hp_owner comes up Access is denied. This file has multiple very important files on it and I would like to be able to access it once again. Thank you for your time.

Mark

Best bet was to backup that HD using GHOST or Acronis True Image first. The blow out the HD and install Windows XP Pro. Those HP files are looking for prior version of XP Home. The way to get around that is to attach that HD to a desktop as a secondary (slave) drive to access the data you want to get off of it. You can also use Acronis to pin data and see what you want to keep when it creates a yourimage.tib file or yourimage.gho (for ghost).

Boot into SAFE MODE

go to the fold or file of interest, right click properties
under ADVANCED is the Ownership and Permissions

Take Ownership will give the item(s) to the ADMIN id, but by setting
Full control permissions, anyone can access/modify/delete the item(s)

if user see's security tab,when logged on
not necessary to boot to safe mode""???
thats xp pro only ???

Hi guys as my name say I am notatechie

I tried to go to msconfig to stop programs from running in the background. As I did this received this message: "Access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using adminstrator account to make the specified changes." (I am the administrator)

So being one who cannot let things go,decided to go to system restore, but, found this to be shut off (don't remember either starting it or stopping it) turned it on and let it restore to its one restore point, which was that morning when I turned it on. Well that changed nothing so I went back to msconfig and one at a time unchecked everything in the start up nothing changed.

Went to control panel, my name shows as administor, went into safemode
again I show as administrator.

Since it only happens in msconfig start up, how do I take control of file or folder.

If I leave it like it is can I run into more problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back