"Access is denied" in Recovery Console

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dual boot system with Win2K SP4 and WinXP Pro SP2. I realize the limitations in RC with commands and folder access. To circumvent the folder access, I have performed the following from both OS as well as confirmed both drives are being shared and the needed folder on those drives:

In the Group Policy editor\Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Select Security Options...
* In the list of policies on the right, double-click the entry for Recovery Console:
"Allow Floppy Copy And Access To All Drives And All Folders".
* Select the Enabled option and then click OK.

Despite this, I receive "Access is Denied" trying to access C:\xpregbak booting to both C: & D:. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

sdatkinso said:
Despite this, I receive "Access is Denied" trying to access C:\xpregbak booting to both C: & D:. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

From this MS webpage

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Note If you try to obtain access to other folders, you may receive an "Access Denied" error message. Also, when you are using the Windows Recovery Console, you cannot copy a file from the local hard disk to a floppy disk. However, you can copy a file from a floppy disk or from a CD-ROM to a hard disk, and you can copy a file from one hard disk to another hard disk.

IS that of any help?

Regards

Did last response help? To some degree

My understanding is that the setting I enabled for RC in Group Policy, "allows floppy copy and access to ALL DRIVES & ALL FOLDERS", would permit access to all folders on the current drive including those on another partition. Is this not the case?

With regard to the floppy, it is not able to handle the amount of data so that will not work. I don't have another hard drive at this time, although I plan to purchase an external HD in the next week or two, so maybe that is what it will take. Would this be the recommendation at this point? It seems like there must be another way as this is a requirement for a lab I am doing for a computer class I am taking and I am just trying to figure my way through this. The class does not require another HD until later in the semester.

I look forward to any clarifications. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back