Accessing protected XP folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Poindexter

Pleas help! My OS recently crashed with some very important school files. I already reinstalled XP, which I probably shouldn't, and whenever I try to access the user folder it says that access is denied. The user names are both David with the same password, and both are admin accounts. I've read how to access single files through boot disks, but I don't know the names of some of the files, and nothing I've found tells how to copy folders. Please help! I need the files to turn in in two days.

Any help is VERY much appreciated

David

I'm :dead:

no luck

Thanks for the link. I tried to follow the instructions, but I have no security tab under the folder properties. So I'm still stuck. Does anyone out there have any suggestions, or maybe I'm just going about it wrong, but I really need help.

Thank you

David

Perhaps you are using Windows XP Home or may not be using advanced sharing..?

Please log in as Administrator first (or any administrator account should do).

When you right click on the folder, you should have the option of "Sharing and Security" or at least "Properties". Choose one of these and choose the "Sharing" tab, since security is unavailable to you.

Uncheck "Make folder private" if that is an option given and OK it. If you still cannot access this folder, repeat the same step, only check "Make folder private" in hopes you can assign a new password.

IF that does not work, maybe by some odd chance you can choose to share it over the network by checking the two bottom sharing boxes, OK`ing and typing //localhost in your address bar to access your computer shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back