Acer's 4K, HDR, G-Sync, 144Hz monitor available to preorder in US for $2,000

midian182

Staff member

After a number of frustrating delays, Nvidia’s first G-Sync, high refresh rate, HDR monitors are almost upon us. The first of these, The Predator X27, is already up for preorder. We always knew that it would put a big hole in a buyer’s wallet, and now we know by how much. Newegg lists the gamer’s dream display for $1999 and they're ready for delivery on June 1.

After being shown off at CES last year, the monitors from Nvidia partners Acer and Asus were supposed to arrive sometime in 2017 but were pushed back. We got confirmation from Nvidia earlier in the week that the displays would launch this month, though the prices still hadn’t been confirmed.

Preorders for both the Predator X27 and the Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ went live on several European retailers last month, with their US price equivalents ranging from $2500 to $3000. The $2000 Newegg price is lower than many expected, even though that amount could get you a pretty powerful PC.

Newegg has limited the number of monitors to one per customer, but it seems the price tag hasn’t put people off—they’re already out of stock. High demand isn’t that surprising, given the Predator X27’s specs: an AHVA panel with a 3840 × 2160 resolution, 178°/178° horizontal/vertical viewing angles, 4 ms GTG response time, 600 nits native brightness that reaches 1000 nits, 144Hz max refresh rate, 384-zone backlights, 99 percent coverage of the Adobe RGB spectrum, full 10-bit HDR support, and, of course, G-Sync.

In addition to all those display features, the monitor has enough connectivity options to keep gamers happy, including HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.4, and four USB 3.0 ports.

As most people know, the only real issue with these monitors is that even a GTX 1080 Ti isn’t enough for 4K@144Hz. Let’s hope Nvidia's upcoming GTX 1180 (or whatever its called) is more suited to the task.

For those who would settle for a 4K 120Hz monitor without any adaptive sync technology and a lower brightness level (400 nits), Wasabi Mango’s 43-inch UHD430 went on sale last week priced at $1400. And if you really want it all, Nvidia’s 65-inch Big Format Gaming Displays are scheduled to arrive before the year is out—but expect them to cost a small fortune.

Permalink to story.

Acer makes pretty good monitors, I have had several over the years, but they used to be the company to turn to for economical devices that were well made .... it would appear they are changing their dynamic's and turning away from a niche market.

Why the hell would I pay for a monitor more expensive than some OLED TVs, when you can't even build a rig powerful enough to take advantage of it? Not that it would be worth the money even if you could, mind you...

This is only really aimed at people that are spending $2000+ on a custom PC this summer (new Nvidia GPUs) because they are the only machines that will be able to take advantage of it properly. So they will have to blow the big bucks and the mainstream will have to wait another couple of years to get an equivalent.

At least the displays are finally arriving after such long delays, it's shocking that monitors and PC gaming has actually fallen behind console experiences especially in terms of HDR support.

It must be fixed post-haste.

I'd really like to know what makes this monitor worth 2 Grand. I mean is it legit? Its probably so high because they have manufacturing setup costs and they expect low sales and so they need a high margin to recoup R&D overhead but its just not a competitive product at this price point. I wish companies would find a way to bring tech to the mass market and not to the niche market. Seems like mostly a waste of time.

At least the displays are finally arriving after such long delays, it's shocking that monitors and PC gaming has actually fallen behind console experiences especially in terms of HDR support.

It must be fixed post-haste.

Um, WHAT?! HDR is brand new and barely implemented in current games, so what are you talking about, PC lagging behind? Do a google search for FreeSync 2 HDR support on consoles.

I'll wait....

Um, WHAT?! HDR is brand new and barely implemented in current games, so what are you talking about, PC lagging behind? Do a google search for FreeSync 2 HDR support on consoles.

I'll wait....

What am I talking about? How about the raft of high profile console games now with HDR support and the major dearth of PC games boasting the same?

Maybe you should make that list comparison and get back to me, people on here.......tsk tsk

Last edited:
What am I talking about? How about the raft of high profile console games now with HDR support and the major dearth of PC games boasting the same?

Maybe you should make that list comparison and get back to me, people on here.......tsk tsk

Forgive me. I had HDR suport confused with FS2 support.

Might come off as a hater but never been a fan of Acer. Seen their monitors in stores, and the colors look washed out. Even the higher end models. I'm sure this is a great monitor but I wouldn't pay near 2k for an acer monitor.

I bet my 550 dollar Samsung 144hz freesync 2 monitor will produce better colors and contrast on images and videos. However my monitor is only 2k resolution and this monitor has better specs on paper regarding hdr and dimming zones. Either way , when it comes to monitors or tv's Samsung has always delivered. End shill

Whats the best monitor I can buy for £200/$280? wanting somewhere between 24-27" unless there's a nice 32/34" wanting an ISP screen (I want better colours and blacks over my 24" TN panel I currently have), preferably 1440p or Ultra wide screen.

Acer makes pretty good monitors, I have had several over the years, but they used to be the company to turn to for economical devices that were well made .... it would appear they are changing their dynamic's and turning away from a niche market.

In case you haven't noticed all IPS QHD high refresh monitors are AH-VA panels made by AUO, a subsidiary of the parent entity of Acer. They have had a pretty much monopoly on IPS high refresh rate, even LG or Samsung can only make TN/VA high refresh rate panels.

Pfft Acer, not a chance in hell would I buy anything from these guys. Piss Poor QC and even worse customer service which will without question carry over to every future product they peddle. 4k @ 27" and at this price? Gotta be kidding.

Back