Acquired a new comp for $20, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlkmgr

hello to all!!! i recently purchased a comp the guy said was not working for $20. i only wanted the PSU and cd burner. well i thot i would try and power it on and ended up fixing it. it had one bad stick of memory, a sticking power button, missing drivers, spyware and a virus. the system consists of a PCChips P25G mobo, a celeron 2.13, 512MB mem, maxtor 40GB HDD, Hipro 400 PSU, and cd-r drive. the front usb ports were ripped out of the case, but the back ones are intact.
now that it is running, i am wondering if i should upgrade anything for daily use?? this is the comp i am typing from now. it seems faster than my P4 1.6, but without knowing the full history of this comp, i am a bit weary of keeping it. thanks to anyone that can offer some suggestions...

oh, and another thing is the cpu fan blows air at the processor rather than pulling air away. not sure if this will be an issue down the road, but there was plenty of dust lodged in there when i took it apart. oh, and no other case fan as well...

get a copy of XP but make sure you have a genunine License key to use with this. XP ideally requires a MINIMUM of 256Mb but works better with 512Mb.

I would get another 512 Mb stick of RAM and make sure there is a fan at the front and the rear of the case for ariflow. If you want u could get an 80gb drive.

a Format is when u wipe the current drive of its OS and re-install a fresh copy.

hope this helps

James

Don't worry about the CPU fan. The fan on the CPU cooling unit is supposed to blow air towards the processor. The heatsink extracts the heat from the surface of the processor (thus heating itself), and the fan cools the heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back