Active Desktop question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

I run Win XP Pro, and having broadband, I created a live desktop with Dreamweaver MX using resizable frames. In IE, the frames resise, but not on the desktop. Also, there is the issue of the desktop icons.

Two points. Firstly, how do I get rid of the white boxes around the text of my desktop shorcuts and back to transparent ones with white text.

Secondly, I remember from Win98 that there was an option to force the desktop to behave like a web page (1 click). Is this still availiable on XP Pro?

Spike

Spike:

For the first you need to able the drop shadows visual effect. To do that, follow these steps:

Open the system control panel (Either right click on my computer and select PROPERTIES, or open it from the control panel, or press Windows Key + Pause Break Key)
Click the ADVANCED tab.
Click the SETTINGS button in the PERFORMANCE section.
Check the "Use drop shadows for icon labels on desktop" and apply.

For the second part:

Yes you can do this. To enable single-click opens, do the following:
Open any folder
Open the "TOOLS" menu
Open "FOLDER OPTIONS"
On the GENERAL tab, tick the radio box towards the bottom that says "Single click to open..." and apply
Viola, single click open.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that. I have the single click open. I guess the desktop really doesn't like resizable frames though.

On the other point, I tried unchecking and applying, and re-checking and applying that box, but no difference. I still have horrible rectangular boxes making a mess of my pretty black velvet picture background!

Thanks anyway
Spike

I've uploaded an attachment showing my problem

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back