Maurice

I'm expecting a lashing &/or "told you so", when you've read this;-

Ad Aware log;

20/8; 17 items 6KB
26/8 140 " 6405KB
28/8 17 " 126KB
29/8 24 " 9KB

Totals; 198 items/6546 KB

The 140 on the 26th, was whilst I was away for a few days, average over the 8 days; 28.75 items, 818 [say]

You can't tell me anything you haven't said already, someone there said "just run Ad Aware very frequently"......or something similar, I now run it 2 or 3 times a day, [I'm online at least 3 times daily].

Maurice.

Wow! It looks like you should switch to Firefox. And be more careful about where you go on the internet, or tell whoever else uses the computer to be more careful. I use ad-aware and spy bot about once a month. Even then I only get a couple if any (cookies mostly). I can see maybe a high number for a toolbar (most people have probably gotten one of these at some point), but not every couple of days.

Maurice, I've not installed that ad-aware thingy for nearly two years now.

I just did there, just after reading your post. I did a full scan with latest definitions of my C: drive. It only found 17 data miner cookies.

Why on Earth are you having this much trouble with this? Is everyone having this level of a problem with this, or is it just you?

Originally posted by Maurice
I now run it 2 or 3 times a day.

Is it really that much of a problem that you have to do that??

I think his machine is in a bit of a tattered state. Reinstall and a firewall sounds like the best option

Just ran it now, first time in four months. This Windows laptop gets a hell of a lot of use as its the general websurf machine for everyone else in the house. Running 2KSP4 with the entire Windows Update checked out onto it, no firewall (router has one), no AV. Firefox 0.93 and Outlook 2003 on it.

12 items, all cookies from when IE was still being used.

I will still maintain that you have ad-ware on your PC, in the form of "MyWebsearch" etc.

Have a word with you computer-guy if he cannot re-install XP and the rest.
Then when everything is working OK, have him burn an image of the fresh state, using DriveImige or Acronis (NOT Norton Ghost). If anything goes wrong again, he (or you if you trust yourself to do that) can reload that image, if your PC is giving you grief again.

Thanks, everybody, wow, I sure stir up some interest, don't I?
Yes, it's a miserable situation, I'll just keep plodding on with Ad Aware for now, I thought it might be a virus hanging around, letting all the miners in, but deep scans with AVG & searchs, including "hidden files & documents" reveal nothing.
No, I don't know why I'm having this level of trouble, Phantasm, & yes, I too, am beginning to wonder if it's just me, you people, aren't, obviously, & several friiends that I've asked haven't either.
As to a "tattered machine", MYOB, thanks a bunch, but I know what you mean, new machine or old, has no bearing, I realise that of course.

So, as I've said, it's plod on with good ol' Ad Aware,...... anyone any more thoughts on it being a virus? the dropper; funweb is quarantined by AVG.

Grateful as always for your attention,

Maurice.

PS, just got your latest, RBS, yes, that might be the best thing, I'm not mean, but he's £10 an hour!, & it's cost me £40 so far, for the set-up, & the recent visit, there ARE Jews in my ancestory!..........oops, no offence to Jews, it was a joke!!!, HONEST!

OK, OK, already.

Incidentally I have just run AdAware, there were five items, all miners, I do this now, every boot-up & I now get it to look at URL's in Favorites, as well.
AdAware brought out their "SE" version this month, & I'm wondering if it'll be worth upgrading to that, 'spect it'll be around $30 or so, but it might be worth it? mine is the free version at the moment, see my next post.

Maurice

Have been to the Ad Aware website, & have all the details of their new "SE" it's too lengthy to cut & paste, [four pages] so here is the address to view it;-

www.lavasoft.de/news/20040809.shtml

No doubt those of you who have, & trust Ad Aware, have already d/loaded this version, but as it only came out this month, some may not have.
Perhaps those of you who who haven't yet, would like to see the details, in any case, would someone have a look, & let me know what you think, i.e., would it be worthwhile for me?, have just accessed it, clicking on it from this message.

Thanks, Maurice.

You should set Ad-watch (not sure if it comes with the free version of ad-aware) to start with windows and keep it running in the system tray. That way you don't need to run scans every day or so as it will be blocking threats in real time (just like your virus scanner). You wouldn't switch your virus scanner off, and only run it once in a while would you? Keep ad-watch running whenever you go online (or leave it always active) and you won't have any more problems.

Hello again Nic, no, Ad-Watch doesn't come with the free version unfortunately. By your remarks, the SE version might be the one for me, have you got it, or looked at the advances it has? the address is in my previous post, above.

Maurice.

Everytime I run Spybot on my work laptop I get a "DSO Exploit", even though I've patched it so hard it will be hurting for eternity. (And when I say everytime I mean each time I run it on a routine basis. If I run it twice in a row it doesn't find a DSO exploit). :(

Are you the 'Arris, of @Arris tweed fame?....I know, I know, corny or what!!
Sorry, don't understand "DSO Exploit", but I know how you feel, my one doesn't SEEM to do damage, but it's very irritating, popping up EVERY time I boot -up, but I can live with it, if I have to. My main concern at the moment, are the floods of data miners I am getting daily, a right pain they are, see my previous posts on this thread., starting with the first., ye gods!

Maurice.

Originally posted by Maurice
Hello again Nic, no, Ad-Watch doesn't come with the free version unfortunately. By your remarks, the SE version might be the one for me, have you got it, or looked at the advances it has? the address is in my previous post, above.

Maurice.
There are a lot of improvements in Ad-aware SE version, and that is the one I am running. You should always run the latest version, because it will detect new threats that the older technology will miss. The nature of adware means that there is a constant arms race to bypass the ability of old software to detect any spyware, so you need to be ahead of the curve and keep up to date. I know users that have found spyware detected with the new version, which was missed by the older version 6 product. Running Ad-aware together with a good virus scanner and firewall, you will have very little to worry about whilst online.

Nic's on the right track Maurice. Get the latest....there's lots of updates to it that seem to help.

I think we're gonna take up a collection for airfare and send RBS over there for a day or two. ;)

Thanks both, I've been to the Lavasoft site, & am able to buy their SE version for $25.95, I think it was, as the illustration showed it in a box, I'm presuming I'll get it that way?, it sounds a silly quesion, but I bought a game online last year, [Ebay] & think a box was shown then, but it was just in a sleevewhen it arrived.
I'm thinking that if my system has a serious crash, or I get my PC re-formatted as someone suggested, if it came boxed, with instructions, I could reinstall easily, [yes, I know, I wouldn't need instructions, but that's me being me]
SE doesn't seem downloadable from the 'net, but if it was, I wouldn't do that, as I would lose it if the situation above occurred.
I know what you guys are thinking, is he real?, but I just thought I'd run it by you, expecting your comments to be constructive, &gently, [I hope] scathing, but do your best, yeah?

Maurice

Tut tut, Masque, shame on you, baiting RBS like that!

Originally posted by realblackstuff
Second that!

PS: this refers to Masque's post.
Maurice's last one popped up just as I hit my send-button

I notice you didn't say you WOULDN'T go. :p

Never been to the Isle of Wight, but I guess there is no such thing as a free flight..eh, I mean lunch.

But if you guys scrape the mullah together I WOULD go, no probs.

Originally posted by realblackstuff
Never been to the Isle of Wight, but I guess there is no such thing as a free flight..eh, I mean lunch.

But if you guys scrape the mullah together I WOULD go, no probs.

LOL

I thought as much! And I don't blame you....so would I. As a matter of fact, I think my in-laws are heading that direction in a couple of weeks. Maybe I can sneak into a suitcase, eh?

RBS, you don't know what you're missing, not sure if you have a family, the island is a good place for a family holiday, but the children have to be young, as soon as they get to early teens, it can get boring for them after a few days. I was born in Portsmouth, a few miles away, across the Solent, I've no relatives in the south, & my cousin lives in Northampton, so I won't be moving back to the mainland, I shall live out the rest of my days here, there are a lot of worse places to live, hardly any violence, a few druggies, LOTS of glorious countryside to enjoy.
Do you live in the suburbs of Dublin, ?

Don't let them wind you up, the Yanks are at it now!

Maurice

Arggggh, its a Pompeyite... NOOOOOO!

(I'm a BHA fan, hence I have to dislike people from Portsmouth)

Don't worry, MYOB, I'm NOT a footie fan, & even if I was, I wouldn't support Pompey, over many years they'e been very inconsistent, going right up through the leagues,only to come crashing down the next season. Their hayday was many years ago, my father went to Wembley, just before the war to see them win the F.A. Cup.

What the+++++++ is BHA...oh, just got it, Brighton, very local to me.

Trying to wind me up now, huh, got fed-up of NI man?

Maurice

I guess majority of those Ad-Aware detections are cookies. Personally, I've set Firefox to ask for each cookie whether or not to accept it (and to remember the answer for the site in the future). So I have about 30 sites that are allowed to set cookies - most of them are stores that require them to work, and some hundreds of ad-sites etc. that are not allowed to set them.

Sometimes, though, I get so many questions if I want to allow this and this cookie that I just disable them completely. I've still been able to surf around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back