Add/Remove programs in control panel opens then closes within a second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer_Simpson

Hi All,
I wonder if anybody out there can help me with an annoying problem that I am experiencing. When I click on Add/Remove programs the window opens and a second later closes! All other icons within the Control Panel seem to be unaffected, leading me to think that it may be a virus, however all scans come up clear. This is driving me up the wall, only thing I can see at the moment is a reinstall, which I want to avoid if possible.
Thanks in advance for any advice anybody can give.

A. The Control Panel Add/Remove Programs applet might stop running if your system is missing some required registry entries. To resolve this problem, you must add the necessary entries to the registry by performing the following steps:

Start a command session by going to Start, Run and typing
cmd
Enter each of the following commands (click OK to each confirmation that appears):
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll -i
regsvr32 shell32.dll -i
Close the command session by typing
exit

You should now be able to start the Add/Remove Programs applet. If the applet still won't run, you might be missing a file; to check, use the system file checker (SFC) to check for and replace missing or corrupt files by performing the following steps:

Start a command session by going to Start, Run and typing
cmd
Enter each of the following commands (the system might prompt you to enter the installation media during this process):
sfc /purgecache
sfc /scannow
Open "Run"

Hope this helps

Hi gbhall, many thanks for the reply. I have tried your suggestions but unfortunately without success. I have ruled out a virus as I have used various scaners inc. Nod32 and various online programs. I think that the only option is to try a repair install. Hopefully that will work, that is unless there are any other suggestions members out there might have.
:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back