Added IDE Hard Drive, already had SATA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To start with, I had one hard drive, connected with SATA. I also had a DVD-RW. I run WinXP. Everything worked fine. I was given another hard drive, and this hard drive only uses IDE. So I added it on a separate channel from the DVD. When I went to my CMOS, now the DVD and IDE drives show, but not my original SATA drive (on which my OS is installed). I can't even find anything in my BIOS that says ATA or SATA. So, it's trying to boot off my IDE hard drive, which of course won't work. What do I do?

Edited to Add:

I played around connecting and unconnecting the IDE hard drive. When I connect it, suddenly the SATA drive cannot be detected. When I disconnect the IDE hard drive, the SATA can again be detected. I noticed in the BIOS that even when it is detecting the SATA drive, it calls it IDE! It shows under IDE channel 2 Master. When I connect the IDE drive, it shows under IDE channel 1 Slave--totally wrong! It is not a slave! It should say IDE channel 1 Master, because it is connected to the "master" end of the cable, and the jumper setting is "cable select". The DVD-RW, when it shows up (it doesn't always show in conjunction with the IDE hard drive, but sometimes it does), shows as IDE Channel 0 Master, which is good.

I guess my BIOS is screwy? Or something?

Did you set the jumper to master on the IDE drive? if the jumper is set to slave then that is what it is going to show up as regardless of it's position on the cable.

Also check you bios for Hard drive settings most new boards have three settings. "enhanced", which enables both SATA and IDE. then sata enabled PATA(IDE) disabled and PATA enabled SATA disabled.

iss said:
Did you set the jumper to master on the IDE drive? if the jumper is set to slave then that is what it is going to show up as regardless of it's position on the cable.

As I said, the jumper is on "cable select". I'll try it on master, and check for that "enhanced" setting on the BIOS you mentioned.

So, I set the IDE drive to Master/Single. Then I went into the CMOS and managed to manually get it to detect my SATA HD. Saved, rebooted, went back in and it was still detected! So I set the HD boot priority #1 to go to the SATA drive. Save, reboot. Seems to work, except starting winxp takes, like, THREE MINUTES in that winxp slash screen (you know, the black screen with the winxp logo and the little blue bar strobing at the bottom). Finally I can log into winxp. But the IDE drive doesn't show in My Computer!! It also doesn't show in the Disk Management part of Computer Management (you know, when you right-click on My Computer and select "manage"). However, the IDE drive DOES show in the device manager, and there it says that nothing is wrong with it.

In summary: now can boot and run windows with the IDE HD connected, but still cannot actually utilize the IDE HD.

if the hard drive is on the IDE cable by itslf then try removing the jumper from it completely. alot of hard drives made the past few years dont like being jumperd if they are by themselves on the IDe cable. especially western digital drives.

iss said:
if the hard drive is on the IDE cable by itslf then try removing the jumper from it completely. alot of hard drives made the past few years dont like being jumperd if they are by themselves on the IDe cable. especially western digital drives.

Master/Single IS no jumper; that is what I did.

I tried using the winXP CD to reformat the IDE drive and it couldn't. So, at this point I'm just assuming the drive is damaged. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Disconnected the IDE drive and everything is back to the way it was before this fiasco, ie. everything works great, but I am running out of hard drive space fast. I guess I'll have to burn my video collection to CD. :dead:

try making it a slave on the 2nd ide channel along side the cdrom/dvd
this used drive was it used as a active boot ,may be messing up the mbr.
if you can see it in devices try reformat it in here as a storage device that may erase the boot sector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back