Adding a "reset" button

bigbrat41

Per my other thread I'm looking to purchase ( probably E-bay) a case. I have certain asethetics in mind but, one thing I'd really, really, really like to have is a "Reset" button. You know, the one just below the power button.

Question becomes: Is there an easy, or mildly difficult way to add 1 to a case that does not already have 1?
Thank you

Reset is a feature of the motherboard, the mobo should have two pins that, when shorted, cause the system to reset. Usually the pins are labelled, they are most certainly described in the manual.

If your mobo has the relevant pins, then all you need is a "pushbutton" type switch (the kind that short the leads only when held down). Mount it anywhere you like.

how can I tell?

I have not purchased a MOBO. How can I tell from the SPEC's if this or that board has the pins?
Thank you

I might be going out on a limb here but i would venture to say that about 95% of MBoards have the pins for a reset switch...

patio. :cool:

bigbrat41 said:
I have not purchased a MOBO. How can I tell from the SPEC's if this or that board has the pins?
Thank you

I agree with Patio above. I have never seen one that DOESN'T have the reset pins.

But if you want to confirm 100%, go to site of the maker of the board you are looking at, and download it's manual. The layout of the motherboard will be in that manual, and you can confirm there are reset pins waiting for some love.

Once you get outside the thinking of the OEM's (Dell, Gateway, E-Machine, HP, Compaq, Sony), you realise that, more like 99.9% of every custom case you buy, and any retail motherboard, will have the function of a reset button.
Why the OEMs don't give you one? Who knows, except they are just being OEMs and strive to be different.

It is to reduce IT costs of corporations - if dumbusers don't have reset buttons then they can't press them either. This means there will be less time spent on recovering the precious files of crying office workers and restoring Windows to a workable state.

Not to mention that for a big manufacturer the accumulated savings of omitting the reset button are considerable.

Hey Nodsu

First and foremost Thank you all.

Nodsu, your last post implies (heh heh ) that the reset maybe/is/does more harm than "good". I understand that if there are frequent lock ups that something else is wrong, but it is just so D___ handy to push 1 little button that does ALL the work rather than going thru a Hard Boot.
Please enlighten me.
thanks again

i need an icon of me scratching my head.

Reset is the same as hard boot with the only exception that the PSU does not cut power - your hard drives and fans keep running.

Which is why I'd rather have a reset.

Should a hard freeze happen, or a BSOD which forces you to HAVE to reboot. I think a reset button is much safer and less harmful then cutting power. But I agree that the average "dumb user" would probably hit the button much to much. Like "oh my, Internet Explorer didn't open immediately and so I double clicked it 47 more times, I can't wait any longer, RESET". lol

"there are heros on both sides. Evil is everywhere"

So true... when i was a kid.. like 6... there were those red switcs, it was going from AC to DC power... I was a half wit and i flicked it instead of waiting for the comp to turn on (impaitentness) so... it blew up... u know, the engine or something(forgot name) it exploded.... lol there was no reset button... i pressed power off but it wouldnt work and my stupid brain wrecked the comp!!!

Back