Adding ram form another cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has a Sony vaio PCG-FRV23 laptop with a broken screen.:dead:
He wanted to throw it away but i asked for it thinking i could use some of its parts. I want to take the ram from it and add it to my cpu. Since the screen is broke i had to find its info from sony and found out it has a 512 MB DDR SDRAM (256MB x 2).

I want to add it to another cpu, a Hp Pavilion DV 5000 that currently has 512mb of ram and has 2 slots with a maximum capability of 1 gb each. so would that mean i could only add 256 mb onto my Hp, and would it be compatible with my cpu?
From what I read on google the MHz of each ram has to be identical but how do I know the speed of the Sony? MY Hp is measured in GHz and has 1.79GHz.

Well I have an idea that may be better than what you are wanting. Why not just replace the screen, inverter etc? I have done this before. I found parts for an old Compaq a few years ago on eBay pretty cheap. I just searched eBay for PCG-FRV23. Check the link below, you may find some parts in there.

Besides, that VAIO probably has PC2100 DDR and you HP probably has PC2700. So I don't think that would do you a bit of good.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=PCG-FRV23&category0=

btw, Nice screen name! :D

of course you read the faqs and the ram guide in the guides forum before posting right?

Usually mixing RAM from laptops into a pc will cripple your system. Your pc only has one channel right.

thanks and sorry. Ill try adding the ram to my computer and if it doesnt work i could always take it out.......right or would it damage the cpu.
If that doesn't work i ill purchase a new screen and a charger for the Sony

it wouldnt damage unless it picked up static, it would read as it was in but it wouldnt perfrom as fast. It only performs as fast as the slowest piece of ram in your system i think. so if you have a 512 and a 1gb it would only count as 1gb total

No, it would still read as 1.5Gb. That isn't the speed, that is the size. The speeds should be the same in order to ensure compatibility, and it is recommended that you use the same size chips--especially if your computer is dual channel. As Tedster suggested, you should read his well-written post that covers all of this (and more).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back