Adding Remote Computer to Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregthe1000

How do I go about making a computer on one network a part of another when it's not directly connected to it? Do I have to use an IP address somewhere?
What I'm really trying to do is connect to another computer of mine that's in a different part of town.
I've tried using PcAnywhere and Remote Desktop, but it can't connect to the computer......a full week of connection mayhem.:(

PCanywhere is a GOOD choice -- most likely you need adjustments to the firewalls on both ends :)

There's two buildings

One with a computer I want to connect to from the other building.
It's all wired.

I try to use PcAnywhere and both firewalls are turned off (Norton recommended). What's even more interesting is that the computer I want to connect to is set up for more than one computer to connect to it...and THEY work fine........

another thing...I'm using the IP address given to me by www.whatismyipaddress.com is this the wrong address?
thanks in advance

I don't know how to get PcAnywhere to connect to the other computer using the router's IP address along with the local IP address.

Is there a way to combine them in PcAnywhere so that it finds the specific computer?

Sounds to me like you need to forward a port on the router to make PCAnywhere go the the PC you are trying to access. It will help to set that PC up as a static address as well.

it's the external IP that is necessary to make the connection.
the port forwarding is port XX forwarded to the internal Lan address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back