adjusting screen res for icon/taskbar/etc size

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamensterms

hey dudes,
i recently sent my laptop in the be serviced and since i got it back ive been having a little issue with resolution. all the fonts are too small, the icons are too small, the taskbar, and pretty much everything is too small.

ive had a similar issue before and have easily solved it by adjusting the screen resolution in the display>settings tab. so i thought it would be easy enought to treat this problem the same way. currently the screen res is set at 1400x1050(which i know is incorrect). it is a 15" monitor so i think the resolution should be 1024x768. but when i change the screen res to 1024x768 is only shrinks the screen and puts a black frame around the border. so that res setting doesnt fill the screen. ive never seen anything like this before so i really have no idea where to start.

any help would be much appreciated.

its a HP Compaq nx9010. running XP.

ps: i wasnt sure which forum to post in so im going to put this here and in the audio/visual board.

cheers.

Once you`ve changed the resolution to 1024x768 you`ll need to use your monitor controls to stretch the screen to fit the monitor.

Regards Howard :)

oops....spoke too soon. im sure that with any other computer that solution would have solved everything. but as it turns out...this laptop doesnt have the manual screen adjustment/settings. if it does....i cannot find them.

any help?

thanks again.

I`ve searched for your laptops manual, but can`t find anything useful.

Right click your desktop and select properties. Click settings and then the advanced tab. See if you can see anything in there that might help.

If not, maybe you should contact the people who serviced your laptop and ask them what the problem is.

Regards Howard :)

If you're happy to live in the 1400x1050 (possibly the LCD's native resolution) you can set the size of the text and icons etc manually, by going into display properties>Settings tab>advanced>DPI setting

If you're not happy with the default or default large setting in the drop down box, you can choose "custom" and drag the ruler manually until your satisfied with the size. Reboot for it to take its final changes.

out of curiosity (...that killed the cat..) what was it in service for?

im pretty sure the monitors native res is 1024x768. i think thats what i had it set at before. it was getting service because of networking issues. i had some trouble connecting with network and the master pc at work, which gave me printing and scanning problems and such.

cheers.

well in that case you could always try reinstalling the LCD monitor drivers [display properties>settings tab>advanced>monitor Tab] and also the video card's drivers.. you could strike lucky i guess..

otherwise, the workaround works well.. i should know :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back