"Administrator" account disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

teradost

When I first installed Windows XP Pro x64, I left the user account settings at default. This meant I had 1 "Administrator" and 1 "Guest" account.

For security reasons, I wanted to have an account with administrator capabilities, but with a differerent name. I also wanted an account with guest capabilities but with a different name.

So, while I was still logged into the "Administrstor" account, I created another administrator account with the name "Speaker" and a guest account with the name "Bookworm". This is where the problem started.

As soon as I logged out the the original "Administrator" account, it disappeared from the startup screen. Now, the only accounts I have on the XP startup screen are "Speaker", "Bookworm", and "Guest".

I have some browser bookmarks and some Photoshop files which I really need from the "Administrator" account, but I am denied access to the account in the 'Documents and Settings' folder. They are nowhere else to be found, and I can't seem to find a way to get the "Administrator" account back.

teradost said:
When I first installed Windows XP Pro x64, I left the user account settings at default. This meant I had 1 "Administrator" and 1 "Guest" account.

For security reasons, I wanted to have an account with administrator capabilities, but with a differerent name. I also wanted an account with guest capabilities but with a different name.

So, while I was still logged into the "Administrstor" account, I created another administrator account with the name "Speaker" and a guest account with the name "Bookworm". This is where the problem started.

As soon as I logged out the the original "Administrator" account, it disappeared from the startup screen. Now, the only accounts I have on the XP startup screen are "Speaker", "Bookworm", and "Guest".

I have some browser bookmarks and some Photoshop files which I really need from the "Administrator" account, but I am denied access to the account in the 'Documents and Settings' folder. They are nowhere else to be found, and I can't seem to find a way to get the "Administrator" account back.

I dont use the welcome screen, I turned it off under user settings, however from the startup screen hold CTRL/ALT and tap DEL twice and you should get the windows logon box, enter the name administrator and the password you set and you should be good to go....

Regards

Actually, that's normal. The Administrator account disappears from the welcome screen after you create other user accounts for yourself. And like you said, it is good security to use an account with administrative privleges other than the Administrator account.

Do what Ididmyc600 said and get into Administrator account. Take the files you need from that account and put them in the Shared Documents folder so they can be accessed by all user accounts (or use any other method you like to retrive your files). After that, always use the "Speaker" account unless it's abosolutely necessary to get into the original Administrator account.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back