Administrator change?

By Doctor Gallop ยท 4 replies
Aug 25, 2007
  1. Okay fellas, here is my problem:
    I was given an older computer by my ex wife that still works fine for what I want it to do.
    But is there a way to get her name off of everything?
    She was the original buyer and registered owner, is that why she is listed as administrator?
    Can this be changed now that I own the machine?
  2. Po`Girl

    Po`Girl TS Rookie Posts: 595

    To rename the computer - Right click My Computer/Properties/Computer name.

    To change registered owner - Start/Run/type: regedit -

    HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version

    Right Hand Pane and look for 'Registered Owner'

    Right click the Registered Owner and select Modify.

    To rename administrator (if in wife`s name) - Start/Run/type :control userpasswords2 /Users/wife name/Properties

    You could also do a computer search on your wife`s name,

    then rename or delete anything you find.
  3. Doctor Gallop

    Doctor Gallop TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 227   +11

    Thank you, I will give it a try. Your the best!
  4. gbhall

    gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,431   +77

    As Po'Girl says, a computer search - will find all ini files etc, but there are also possible entries in the registry, so run regedit and do a search (F3) there.
  5. God Of Mana

    God Of Mana TechSpot Paladin Posts: 493

    try running regedit and look for your wifes name and chane all the names into yours.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...