Advanced Graphics Port 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

I overheard a couple of techs at my school discussing some kind of "AGP2" graphics interface. I was on break getting a drink and I heard them talking. I didn't really pick up any specifics but I heard one of them say that AGP-2 is "supposed to offer more than twice the bandwidth of PCI-express 16x. I don't recall hearing about this anywhere and I didn't ask them about it so I just wanted to ask if anyone knew anything about it? News for me I guess...

Oh yeah, and I though i heard something about a dual-core GPU too but that is unconfirmed. I will keep in touch if I find out anything else...

Tmagic650 said:
Why don't you ask the people who were discussing this directly, face to face?

Yeah I might ask one of them the next time I see them but I didn't want to interrupt; I had to get back to class. Maybe I'd be able to catch one of them after class or something.

alisbin said:
are you sure they didnt say pci 2? cause pci 2.0 is supposed to be faster then pcie x16

Nope, I'm positive that they were discussing an "AGP-2" graphics platform. I know this because one of them mentioned an AGP aperture size on some kind of prototype motherboard someone was working on. Like I said before, I didn't get any real specifics but I definitely heard "AGP-2." Who knows, it could be just some experimental thing but I thought I would post what I heard.

it sounds to me like its true i guess the AGP is supposed to have a dedicated entrance to the cpu ergo making things faster (if im not mistaken) but the PCI won by its speed and ect

you did hear right about the dual core gpu but not really dual core its just 2 cores in one card. so pretty much crossfire in one card Full story here

PS its funny to imagine someone standing next to the water fountain and overhearing 3 different sentences

Not sure about that but PCI-E 3.0 has already been announced as being in development and it will quadruple the bandwidth available to PCI-E 1.0 slots.

DeepMartin said:
...you did hear right about the dual core gpu but not really dual core its just 2 cores in one card. so pretty much crossfire in one card...

So...having crossfire (or SLi for that matter) on one card would make it possible to achieve 4 GPU cores in all if you had a dual-card mobo? Having 4 cores in one system would be pretty insane IMO. I bet that would raise the fps in Crysis up some notches! Anyway, like I said before, the whole AGP-2 thing could be just an experiment or something; not corporately funded. I don't really know but it sounded quite interesting to me.

The HD 3870 X2 is an example of a dual-GPU, single-PCB card. So with two of them in Crossfire you'd actually have four GPUs in the system.

nvidia has the ALMOST quad also here

but its jsut two boards per card with each having their own memory and such and jsut connected with a bridge between them, so its one card with another card hanging form it plus another card with another card hanging form it

Quad SLi

DeepMartin said:

but its jsut two boards per card with each having their own memory and such and jsut connected with a bridge between them, so its one card with another card hanging form it plus another card with another card hanging form it

I think that's a little much IMO. Leave it to nVidia though to get way too far ahead of themselves. I don't think there is ANY application out there right now that needs 4 8000 series cards to run smoothly...but who know, maybe there will be tommorrow!

DeepMartin said:

Nothing new about that design. It's the same implementation we saw in the 7950GX2. AMD's card though, is smaller than NVIDIA's solution and will likely draw less power, besides being cheaper. So instead of spending $800 for one 9800GX2, you could get two HD 3870 X2s in Crossfire, assuming the X2's price does drop when the 9800GX2 is released.

There was an AGP 1.0 specification which concerned 1x and 2x, then AGP 2.0 which concerned 4x, so thats 'twice as fast' as before. Then a 3.0 for 8x, again twice as fast.

But as far as any AGP being in the works to replace PCIe... not that I've heard and there is no mention on wikipedia either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back