Advergames, a billionaire industry anytime soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Now these are the ones I love to see around, not only advertisements that are shown in sports games for example but actual games released to promote a product, from those HP's Pong java banners to the full-featured Jeep simulations: "Advergames could be a $1 billion industry by 2005".

Pert was sold. The climb led the stay-at-home dad in Topeka, Kansas, to later buy a $25,000 Wrangler Rubicon, even though the ledge and vehicle existed only in a computer game he played while sitting at home in his bathrobe. He was one of 85 customers to buy a Rubicon after playing the free game he found on a Web site for DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler unit.

I think that product placement in TV shows/games makes the game more lifelike, more realistic. Not too much of the product though. Just props. For example, a TV show could make alot more money and look more realistic if they had a bottle of Pepsi in the fridge, or vending machines advertising it.

Unfortunately, I get the idea they will use this to banner, popup and taintingly blaspheme the entire gaming enviroment. ;)

Things like, "This game requires that you click on the "Pepsi" advertisement to save your game. Would you like to click on Pepsi now?".. This is what I'm picture. LoL.

Egh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back