Advice For New CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilmog

Hey, I am going to upgrade my Amd Athalon 64 3500+ socket 939 CPU as soon as I figure out which CPU I want to get. I am going to pair this with an upgrade to one of the 8800 GTS Rev 2 cards coming out soon. Due to the fact that my processor is socket 939, there are only a few available processors, and the only one which is really worth the money is the 4200+. However, I have heard of people using opterons for gaming processors, and I was just wondering which opteron processor would be good to pair with an 8800 GTS Rev 2 (Socket 939 of course) That is, of course, if this idea would even be practical at all.

W/stock heatsink? And if not, what would you recommend?
Oh yeah, the link that you gave is for an AM2 processor, and I'm looking for a 939. Would you still recommend the 3800+?

This CPU is your best choice. I'd rather prefer you'd get an FX-55 if you want a new CPU for better gaming performance but if you want a dualcore CPU, that one is the best choice IMO. ALso, I have friends running Opteron 165s on the same mobo as yours so the one I recommended will work as well.

Would a FX-55 out-perform any similarly priced 939 processor (such as the opteron 165) in games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back