Advice needed; quiet DVD-Rom drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleid

Slot or tray, doesn't matter. Pioneer is out of question, all of the ones I've heard have been very noisy.
Will mainly use it to watch movies with, so if it's totally silent while watching movies, would be awesome. It doens't have to be the fastest drive around. Silent and good at reading various cd/dvd formats.

Samsung perhaps?
:confused: :confused:

I don't have any specific suggestions, but perhaps you should aim for a "slower" DVD drive.. Like an 8x generation or something similar. You can even get a fast one and use a 3rd party program to slow it down so it is silent.

I have a very old 4th generation DVD and it manages to play DVDs very well, but it is totally silent. I'd get something a wee bit faster though.

The rule of thumb is faster = louder, but that is not always true. Perhaps someone will have a specific model to suggest.

Wow! My Pioneer 106S (slot load) is completely quiet - 'course maybe I just can't hear it over all the case fans in all my computers.... hmmmmmmm...

LNCPapa

Decided I should get a "normal" Dvd-player instead. It can't get quieter nor can it be better in quality.. :grinthumb

WAIT! Listen to it closely in the store - I paid $450 for a semi-hi end set top DVD player - okay, $450 isn't really high end at all - I only use it if I'm going to blast the audio because it makes an irritating sound. I can hear the DVD spinning! Other than that it's a nice DVD player, but I wouldn't buy it again if I had to buy another simply because of that sound.

LNCPapa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back