Advice with several programs (Help me with my computer problems?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazykid99

Hey there,

Name's crazykid99 and I have some problems.
1. What is the NUMBER 1 antivirus/firewall/internet security in the world? I did some reasearching and it is down to PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005, Symantec Norton Internet Security 2005, and ZoneAlarm Internet Suite 5.5. I want to save some space on my computer cuz I have Sygate Firewall pro and avast antivirus 4 home edition.

2. Dad bought 5 new ink cartridges from www.bargain.com there is a word after bargain, not sure what it is. Have a lexmark Z715 printer. bought black #50 ink cartridges. Installed them. printed but no ink dropeed on paper. How to make ink come out and drop on paper? What is a paint thinner?

3. I have a file sharing program so I can download programs for free. How do I download NBA Live 2005/Madden NFL 2005 on there? I can't get the real game to install or work. I got Limewire pro.

4. What program should I use to get pictures from camera, scanner, etc., format and resize them and put them on my computer? Adobe photoshop? Irfanview? Picture It? Myspace.com said irfanview o upload my picture but my picture was too big so I went to irfanview to resize it but it requires photoshop to work but i already downloaded and installed photoshop 7.0 from limewire pro.

thanx and help me

Help me

Yo, one more thing.

1. What is the bestfile sharing program in the world? i got LimeWire Pro 4.8. I've heard of FileCroc, Ares, Shareaza, Nero, bla bla bla. which is the bestone?

2. IS there any site that you know where i can download free stuff at besides file sharing programs at?

3. How do youcreate a webpage/homepage/website that is made by you personally and everyone on the internet can view it.

I know moderators are watching. You can answer or not answer the questions about download progams stuff.

I will answer a few of your questions #1 neither one of them the best paid antivirus are Kapersky and NOD32 PC-Cillin is alright but the other two are much better look at Here

As for your firewall sygate a very good one
Your antivirus you have now is fine espically since there new patch..

2# your printer head probbly shot or you can try cleaning it with a little Alcohol

3# NO Comment we dont support Warez (In tems of use) or talkabout it best to buy the programs then they will work..

4# Paintshop pro is probbly the esiset to use depends on your graphics ability..

There are folks with far more knowledge than I have to answer your other questions, so I will only address #4. Google has a free program call Picasa that works very well. I use it and like it alot.

crazykid99

A few items you should pay attention to:

Before you post, do a search on the forums, using the 'Search' button right under the Welcome-message.
Very likely someone has asked that same question already. Read those threads before you ask.

No info whatsoever will be given about how to obtain "warez", if you continue to ask, you may be banned.

It is bad manners (and also against the rules) to keep on making new posts about the same old thing.
So stop asking and accept that your Lexmark printer is a heap, that is beyond repair!

For webdesign, see here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic23846.html and also pay a visit to http://forum.weborum.com/

All halfway decent cameras and scanners come with some piece of transfer-software, use that to start with.
For resizing you can use Irfanview, which is quite an all-round program.
Alternatively have a look at 'A Smaller Image' from http://www.trivista.com/ one of the easiest to work with, and it costs only $15.-
The likes of Photoshop are way too complicated. Look e.g. at www.ulead.com 's PhotoImpact. Slightly older versions are often being given away for free on PC magazine CDs.

ok

Thanx a lot

I'll try the alcohol on my printer cartridge.

I won't talk about warez anymore since techspot don't allow it. Thats my business. I'l check out your picture programs. One more thing. chosse the best one and explain why they are the best one:

1. Norton IS 2005 vs. ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 5.5

2. AVG 7 Free vs. AVG 7 Pro 2)AVG vs. Avast

3. Panda IS vs. PC-Cillin Trend Micro

4. Sygate vs. Agnitum Outgate vs. ZoneAlarm

Please, I need your advice. I want to get the best one and install it on my computer. My choices are: 1. I don't know, 2. I don't know, 2). AVG because Avast is slower and doesnt scan everything on my computer "Unable to scan" while AVG scans everything and tells you whatfiles it deleted and is much faster, 3. Trend Micro becuz of reviews and recommendations, 4. Don't know but Outgate is eliminated. Please tell me the best one of each pair. I need to get the best firewall, antivirus, antispam, etc. Thanx

Go to this website for a comprehensive AV-comparison:
http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/
Look for 'Comparative tests of antivirus programs' on the left

2005 versions are still too new to have been included, and also are on average no more than the 2004 version with cosmetics applied. Look at the performance of each compared program over the years, then make up your mind.

Check for price/performance here:
http://www.bullguard.com/antivirus/comparison-chart-main.aspx

For firewalls, see here:
http://personal-firewall-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Why you eliminate Agnitum Outpost is a mystery to me. It is the best FW money can buy, even if it shows 'only' second in the comparison above.

Another piece of advice:
next time use Google and search for e.g. 'antivirus comparison' and 'firewall comparison'

Thanx, but not much help, Need You Opinions people. My reasearch over the internet has told me that sygate and zonealarm are better. outpost isnt really popular. zonealarm is considered the best firewall, whci his y i have it now. the antivirus comparison i will look at since i switched to avg antivirus last night.

So only a popular program is good? Grow up!
If it is of any help, I've been using it (Agnitum Outpost Pro) for years. Nothing has ever come through it, and I have been surfing ANYwhere you care or dare to mention.

Also, so were told in some privious post, not to have more than ONE antivirus and firewall at the time. Uninstall what you have before you install another.
Out of curiosity, what is wrong with your current setup, why go through all the hassle, have you got nothing better to do?

No, I just want my computer to have the best protection so basically I just want to have thebest stuff. I got AVG Antivirus Free, whichpeople sayhis good. Idon't really like Avast (slow and doesnt scan everything). I also use Trend Micro online virus scan. IS trend mcro better than avg? Zonealarm from a lot of reviews is considered the worlds number one leading firewall. So I got it. I got SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster, PestPatrol, Microsoft AntiSpyware, Spyware Doctor, Webroot Spysweeper 2.7, Windows Washer 5.0, and Accelerator. I also have HijackThis and CWShredder along with Adaware SE Pro and Spybot. For the pictures I gotPicasa and Picasa 2, Microsoft Picture It!, and I'm trying to get Adobe PhotoDeluxe, whichI'll install later on. I'm gonna get Inrfanview too. Right now I think the best antivirus's are Norton 2005, AVG, McAfee (dont really trust them), trend micro (not very good reviews though) and thats it. Kapersky I think it sucks according to the reviews. What is the best anti trojan and anti spam program? ANygood shields? I got Webtoot's pop up washer.

Kapersky I think it sucks according to the reviews.

You better read the reviews again it rated number one espically on the link RBS provided you need to look at the facts... Kapersky is rated 99.09 there really nothing better...

You still haven't answered all my questions.

kaspersky is good but not the best. Read this:

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal
Installation/Configuration: The most complicated installation, relative to the programs Kaspersky asks you to identify, report file associations and then ask you to point to a key file which they provide after the purchase. At the end of the installation process, it launches a 'Control Center' so you can update and configure the product. Unfortunately for us, the program locked up and crashed. Not good…

Resources: This program was very light on resources as it only took 7.8 megabytes of hard drive space and ran in the background while consuming less than 3 megabytes of system memory. Of course this was before doing an update, which we were stopped short of due to the program crashing.

Award Image Place Points Total
Winner: Shield 2005 Pro with 29 out of 30 points!
Runner up: McAfee VirusScan with 26 points.
Third Place: Norton Anti-Virus with 24 points.

Fourth Place: Panda Titanium Anti-Virus with 20 points.

Last Place: Kaspersky with only 13 points. Again this is because this program crashed, locked up our system and would hog 100% CPU afer reboots. We could never get it to run properly.

Told u

Tool Kit: Best Defenders

Software and Hardware Firewall Best Buys
Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2004
Zone Labs ZoneAlarm Pro 4.5

Antivirus Scanner Best Buy
Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2004

Anti-Spyware Scanner Best Buys
Lavasoft Ad-aware 6 Plus
Spybot Search & Destroy

Spam Filter Best Buy
Cloudmark SpamNet

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:45 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I wouldn't recommend either for a primary antivirus. Kaspersky uses up WAY too many resources, and norton can sometimes detect things, but it normally has a hard time removing them.

6) Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal
Kaspersky offers excellent antivirus protection, perhaps unsurpassed in its ability to recognize various compression algorithms and accurately detect infected files contained within the archives. However, their interface is rather convoluted and may be best suited to more advanced users. Should be used in conjunction with a firewall.

now tell me, i'll download it and c if i like it

Ok can somebody answer all the sentences with question marks? Trend Micro sucks, tried it and the free online scanner. RAV and McAfee found a lot more viruses than it did. RAv and mcafee found them but didnt disinfect the viruses. imgoing to try norton 2005, avg, and kaspersky. if they dont work, on to avast. but please answer all my previous questions.

Where in god green earth did you get this information at?? Please post a link Every site that is actually worth anything that has to do with virus such as the one I posted and the one RBS posted Kapersky is one of the best this is fact.. As for your questions we posted our answers Look at fact links not gossip or paid sites who pays the bills get better reviews. As for your firewall ZA a very good one as well as the free sygate there are also ones other not free does this mean that free stuff is not good no way ! Some of the best stuff is still free .. As for what program you want to use this is your choice but I am just letting you know from experience and facts Now as for your printer if you cannot unclog the head it is more than likely shot a lexmark printer is basically a throw away printer did you ever think about getting a laser printer espically with cost of ink it will save you in the long run..

Nevermind all that, I justdownloaded some new antivirus programs. I'm going toee which one is best. Each of them was free todownload: a squared antivirus, kaspersky free, antivir personal edition, and tds-3 for trojans. Ialso got Norton 2005 (downloaded it off warez) and mcafee 2005. trend micro sux, i'll use its housecall online virus scanner. panda sux and is no use. so any more advice?

Because you have a bee in your bonnet about needing the best of the best, you indiscriminatingly download anything you can get your hands on, you try it out, if you don't like it or (more likely) can't get it to work, you decide it sux (to use your terminology).
You even go so far, as to download 'warez' to 'protect' your precious PC. How dumb can you get?
You say you don't trust McAfee, yet you still download it! A Squared is an also-ran AV that gets about 15% of viruses on a lucky day! By all means, trust your PC to THAT!

Do you know the person who wrote this crap about Kaspersky? Did he/she suffer from a hangover or had a fight with the girlfriend/boyfriend the night before he/she wrote that 'review'?
Does he/she have all the proper test-equipment and is he/she qualified even?

Reading TechSpot forums should have alarmed you at LEAST about the load of people who come here with Norton/Symantec problems. All get the same advise, namely: get rid of it!
And what do you do? You insist on this Norton crap, against all advise from experienced people.
Why bother asking for our advise, if you are not going to follow it anyway?

Loads of forum members are more than happy with the free AVG7 (including me), but then, we don't have the urge to go visit 'warez' websites and its ilk.

A last warning, don't come to me when your PC gets infected!

wow, ur psychic. kaspersky, i tried kaspersky Antivirus eprsonal. Ran it in safe mode w/networking. Slow as hell. I still have to think about A squared, Antivirus PE, and Etrust. Fine, I'll go to the forums and browse. And by the way, look at any antivirus comparison/review and Norton 2005 will be on the top 10. My dad has it and his computer runs better than mine. and yes, i risk my life to download crap, i dealwith the viruses. and u tell me no advice. I got AVG Free 7, theres a buffer problem. maybe reinstall may help.

You dont need to know all the websites, you just need to browse thru the keywords. I finally figured out the truth. The comments people make are bogus. I'm now down to 3 antiviruses actually three. AVG Free, Norton 2005, NOD32, and kaspersky. Also F-Prot or witever its called. Please, read this and tell me which one u would recommend. i know what firewall is the best: zonealarm. Avast, unable to scan all the files on the computer. so just tell me which ones are good and bad. Thanx

Ok, here's what I think. AntiVir PE has been eliminated on the fact that it does detect viruses but doesn't disinfect them. A squared, I'm thinking about eliminating but I'm still scanning with it. Etrust,...about to delete it, but I don't know, somebody help me with that choice. Norton and Mcafee are eliminated cuz theyr both resource hoggers and are expensive. Panda, PC-Cillin are both suckers. So I'm down to Kaspersky (reviews say its very good, but a resource hogger), NOD32, BitDefender 8 (reviews say it is very good). thats it. avg's gone cuz it detects viruses well but it lacks the resources to be a very good AV. so somebody give me what u think is the best.Bythe way, Kaspersky is running faster now.

Out of the AVG/Norton/Nod32/Kaspersky/F-Prot bunch. I would personally pick NOD32, as being the fastest and least intrusive, with a very respectable reputation, not well known (yet) and not the prettiest interface, but damn good.
Of the last 3, only Antivir is any good, up there with AVG.

Go to the very reliable http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php? they have a specific NOD32 forum, amongst others. Read what they say about NOD32 and any other AV or FW you care to mention.

I do not object to ZA Pro, but it is NOT the best. That is Outpost, like it or not.

Yes Kapersky is really designed for more advanced users it does take resource but if you set it upright it is fine personally I scan once a week and I scan everythign i download it scans email automatically it is also very respecitable and too is relivitely new in the AV area NOD-32 is also a very good product one of the top rated ones also .Persoanlly Norton a WASTE of time basically it is more bloteware the reason most people have it you can get it form your local WalMart or Bestbuy Like i said in the past i seen more computers with virus using Norton than anything else the other is probbly macafee I do not recommend and of the two . As for a firewall Outpost is a very good one like Kapersky antihacker which I use and like very well I got a really good deal with license for both since I use Kapersky antivirus and Kapersky antihacker.. Now there are good free ones out there in both areas of firewalls and antivirus Za a verygood free one as well as the free sygate as for antivirus the free ones are very good but remember they are only as good as your updates.

If you choose a antivirus remember only run one.As for a firewall I sugggest a router wich will actually be your best bet but some people dont like them I am one of them that don't like them.

hope this helps you

thanx for your opinions. I'll stick with zonealarm pro for a firewall. I don't want or need a router becuz I get internet thru LAN or thru my dads computer. I got Netgear wireless adapter. My dad has the router. I dont like AVG or AntiVir cuz they both lackthe resources need to really protecta computer. AVg has buffer problems and AntiVir doesnt even clean out the viruses it detects. Here's my final judgement. Out of these, antiviruses, which is the the very BEST and is very protective: NOD32, BitDefender 8, Kaspersky. I'm using all three right now but which is the best?

Well never use more than one antivirus on your computer you basically cancle each other out .. Dont know your computer expereince but Nod would probbly be the best for you.All I can say about Kapersky it was well worth the money I spent for it but I have been on a conputer a very long time It is one of the tops and never had any virus and does find virus others do not. Like I said any antivirus is only as good as your dat files ..

Have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back