After a AGP 4X value card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ural_

I am after a video card that will support 4x AGP and for the card to have 128mb of memory or over, but I am on a really low budget of $60 does anyone one know of such a card? (A card that could atleast play games like doom 3 and Painkiller on very low graphic settings)

The card mentioned in the post above has a 64bit mem. controller, so I think that an old-school, (but 128bit) R9550 could top it. Link
An ordinary 6200 would perform better than a 9500/9550/9600 card, but a 64bit one wouldn't.

It doesn't really matter if a budget card like these ones has 128 or 256MB of memory and the FX 5500 is not necessarily better, than a 9550. The 5500 is essentially just a heftier 5200.
A review, with not exactly the same cards, but very similar ones
According to the benchmarks, the 9550 is at least as good as the 5500.

A foreign test featuring the very Asus card mentioned above
The conclusion of the test is, that the 9550ge is almost as good as a 9600.

The 9550 used to cost significantly more than the 5500, but now that they can be acquired for roughly the same price, the 9550 is a better choice.

I was thinking of getting a 9550 myself but the card doesnt support some games like Halo on pc, but if it is a good card which will play most new games at a fair framerate I will buy, first I'm going to investigate a bit more though.
Thanks for the replies (Nice to hear replies in an internet forum unlike other sites)

Also I forgot to ask would those cards work on my computer since my pc only supports AGP 4x 1.5v?

Halo can be played on a Geforce 3 (and all DX8-era cards), a 9550 would have no problems running it.

Here's a link to the card's specifications, it supports 8X and 4X AGP.

A lot of video cards can handle halo but the 9550 isnt supported by halo, 9000,9200,9250,9500,9600 are all supported but the 9550 isnt. sorry I don't have a link to the site where I looked it up. Thats the only reason why I am not buying the 9550 anyway.

I guess it is, just I don't know much about geforce cards, Ill try and buy a card from ebay rather then newegg since in newegg the currency is in USD and I live in Melbourne, Australia ebay can have great video card bargains and new cards aswell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back