After installing driver computer keeps shutting down, please help me x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!

Ok, first of all i'm new and i'm a girl and i know very little about computers, so go easy on me! ;-)

I tried to fill in the profile but didn't understand what the different sections were referring to, so i apologise for that. Here's the problem:

My laptop (HP compaq nx9010) was reformatted last year and since then it was unable to play DVDs or games at all, so recently we tried to solve this problem and downloaded a radeon omega driver, which to be fair solved the problem, and now games etc work like a dream. The problem is that the screen has started turning itself off randomly - now, if i catch it in time, say within 30 secs, a minute, and click the mouse, the screen simply comes back on again, however if i havent noticed the problem and go to turn the screen on then i get nothing. With it being a laptop, i then have to take the power lead out and wait for 6 or so hours for the battery to run out before i can reboot the thing again -NIGHTMARE

I'm guessing it's gonna be some kind of driver conflict, but i dont know enough about computers to know what to do next.

Would honestly be very grateful to anyone who takes the time to help me.

Mel

So, it isn't just turning off when the screen goes off, it's locking up and you have to completely kill the power to get it to be able to restart? Are there any conflicts in device manager? Go to start, run, type devmgmt.msc, press enter, and look for exclamation points or question marks. If there are any post what they are.

yeah, the screen turns off but although all the lights remain on, nothing i press gets the screen to come back on - i have to run the power out and start again. As i say, there seems to be a time limit where if i click the mouse within the limit, the screen comes back on - i don't know what that time limit is though, and its driving me up the wall.

ive just done what you advised, and there are no exclamation or question marks at all.

Mel

Is the laptop running while the screen is off? Are it's fans running etc? I don't know, but if you have your power options in windows set to standby after so many minutes it might be going into standby. My one pc has an option to only let the computer resume from standby if you enter the correct password on the keyboard. Maybe it's in standby and is locking you out? To check your power options, go to start, control panel, appearance and themes, choose a screensaver, power, and check what system standby is set to, also check what the monitor standby is set to.

This sounds like a problem with the power management of the laptop, like ultra said.

Right-click your desktop and choose Properties, then the Screensaver tab. Click the Power button. List what Power Scheme option is chosen, and also what minutes are listed next to Turn off monitor, Turn off hard disks, and System Standby.

-JustinPS

Hello everybody quick coment sometime if u leave the laptop just sitting around the sreen will automatically turn off then if u hit a key or the mouse it will just turn and go back 2 what ever thing u where doing. I hope this helps a little..... :)
SEBASTIAN :)

are you sure that its not going into sleep mode? if this is the case it is pretty simple to fix the problem. and have you tried to reboot prior to killing the battery completely and recharging it wont kill your computer to try to reboot before the batter dies out totally

it's literally not letting me do ANYTHING when the screen goes black so i cant reboot - ive tried cntrl,alt delete etc but nothing. ive tried hitting everything (i'm hitting the keys progessively harder each time!) so its not sleep mode or anything similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back