After mobo swap, GPU idle temps a full 10C higher for no apparent reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_am_a_newbie

Terribly sorry if this doesn't belong here; but it seemed to fit under 'cooling'.

As title, my Radeon X850XT is idling at a full 10-15C higher than it used to on my old mobo.

I went from the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium to the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

Switched because the former was defective. Nothing else has changed, just the idle temp is quite a bit higher, which has me worried I did something wrong..

edit

forgot to add the actual temps

before
Idle 32-36C

after
Idle 45-50C

when you swapped the CPU, did you thoroughly clean all the old thermal paste (or thermal pad) from both the CPU and the heatsink, then reapply new paste? if you didn't then your CPU will get much hotter, which will heat up your whole case and all of your other components as well.

but how do you know that your video card temp is higher? software based temp monitors are not accurate. and if you're using a program like speedfan which doesn't specify what sensor it's reading, then you may be looking at a different sensor, such as the CPU.

also, your new mobo may simply generate more heat than your old one (although that generally wouldn't make a huge difference)

Did you move the GPU`s heatsink?

Also, I would remove the cooler, clean all thermal grease, and apply new Arctic Silver 5, or a similar compound.

How many case fans do you have?

@first 2, it's my GPU sorry, not CPU.

but yes, i did clean all the thermal paste off and applied a new layer.

@wolfram

Er, the card has the heatsink/fan built on, and I'd rather not mess with it. Should I? It looks fine...

Also, I have 2x 120mm fans and a 90mm fan. for case fans.

My first thought would be the sensor. If you had a more accurate way of reading the before and after that would help determine the problem. My next guess is that the new mobo changed some voltage around and gave the GPU some good power. That increase or steady in voltage is going to give you higher performance and therefore give you higher temps..

Er, the performance is the same basically, slightly lower FPS in some games(which is expected with higher temps right?).. Could it be an airflow issue? I mean, with this board the card is a full 2 slots lower than it was with the other board, could that cause anything(even though I doubt it).

edit

Simply because I don't want to make a new thread, does putting my card in the secondary PCI-E x16 slot work without anything in the first slot?(doesn't need to be answered, just curiosity).

the placement of the card can make a significant change in temps. generally, based on the ATX case standard, no video cards get good airflow where they are unless you have a case fan blowing cooler air towards it (or sucking hot air away from it). a PCI slot fan will help suck some of the hot air away from it, but mount it at least 1 slot away from the video card, to reduce the airflow resistance on the video card fan itself.

i would imagine the card would work in either slot, but I have never used an SLI mobo, so that's just a guess. but i can't see it hurting any thing to try it.

Actually, where it's placed now as opposed to before the swap, would be better in terms of having a fan blowing on it.

There's a 120mm intake fan in the front of the case, and it's currently directly in line with the fan, as opposed to being slightly higher. I will try the PCI fan, however; thanks for the suggestion.

why do you feel that it's better placed "in-line"?

unless air is forced through an air-duct, the flow will "expand" after it's pushed through the fan (it won't si9mply travel straight forward)

also the center of a fan doesn't move any air, and a 120mm fan has a large center. but this wouldn't make any significant difference, because the fact is that the fan is pushing air towards the video card reguardless.

you may not even need a PCI fan, you should just try removing a couple PCI slot covers/plates. you have a fan blowing cooler air towards it, but then where does it go?? maybe removing a couple slot plates will allow some of the hot air to escape. it's worth a try because it's free :D

KingCody said:
why do you feel that it's better placed "in-line"?

unless air is forced through an air-duct, the flow will "expand" after it's pushed through the fan (it won't si9mply travel straight forward)

also the center of a fan doesn't move any air, and a 120mm fan has a large center. but this wouldn't make any significant difference, because the fact is that the fan is pushing air towards the video card reguardless.

you may not even need a PCI fan, you should just try removing a couple PCI slot covers/plates. you have a fan blowing cooler air towards it, but then where does it go?? maybe removing a couple slot plates will allow some of the hot air to escape. it's worth a try because it's free :D
There is a 120mm outtake fan a few inches above the card, also the card has a weird fan that blows out one of the slot covers.

http://www.hardavenue.com/reviews/hisx850xt_3l.jpg

Kinda like in that picture, but my card is the Sapphire x850xt(same exhaust system except not so fancy).

hhmmm... that changes things a little

that's a nice card. i don't know why only a few cards have the double slot design, it's a very good system because it doesn't recirculate the hot air from the video card

since your card already has a slot cooler, there would be no benefit to adding a PCI fan. that card should stay cool no matter what slot height it's placed in.

also, the 120mm exhust fan above the video card doesn't really affect the video card. the heat from your GPU is exhausted out the back of your PC. the small amounts of heat generated by your video card's RAM chips is about all the upper 120mm fan is sucking out (from your vid card at least)

this now brings me back to another issue i mentioned earlier:
KingCody said:
software based temp monitors are not accurate
unless you are using a hardware based temp probe, you cannot be sure that your video card is even any hotter

Well, it is using the card's sensor and merely displaying it, ambient temperature around the card is also up. CPU temps and everything are normal though so I dunno.

Hopefully it is just a software glitch, but I'd still like to see my alternatives before just shrugging it off.

btw, thanks a lot for trying to help.

No way to know for sure, but based on my experience with several near or at top of the line video cards, I wonder if what you are now seeing is the correct temperatures and the other mobo was wrong. I've have never had a stock cooler on a ATi 9700 Pro, nVidia 6800 GT OC, or my ATi 1900 XTX run any lower than about 48/50 degrees at idle. I've always used stock coolers and I have a lot of air passing through my case. Just something to think about.

Are you getting these readings from the Catalyst Control Center or some other software like Speedfan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back